Samsung SIR-T151 ????

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Eddie Sanchez, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Eddie Sanchez

I just bought Panny 47" and wanted to get an inexpensive HD decoder...OTA...I was looking at the Samsung SIR-T151 I can get one of this off ebay for $200 what do you guys think of this HD Decoder?????

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Should be a good one. I just won an eBay auction for one sold "as is" by Chance Deals. Will see how that works out w/ my 53" Panny.

_Man_

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I bought one off eBay too from Thunder TV. Very happy with their service and the product.

4. Eddie Sanchez

yeah I saw a whole bunch being sold by Thunder TV. Refurbuished units. What do you think of this units????

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

My refurb was really good-as-new. In fact, the accessory package with the remote and instructions looked like it had never been opened before. The remote was absolutely spotless and even the batteries were still factory wrapped.

The T151 itself works very well and I'm extremely happy with it. It would be nice if it tuned NTSC signals and had a Firewire port, but that's what the higher-end Samsung models are for.

6. Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas Second Unit

I was in my local Costco this morning and they had the 151 for $219.99. I may have to go there tomorrow morning to try one out.
    Jim

7. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

8. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

9. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

10. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

11. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Eddie,

I've had one since they were introduced and it has served me well--no issues. I have a friend who had one and was having trouble getting one particular station, so he traded it in for a Zenith 420 and it solved the problem. It seems like the Zenith's tuner is a little better at locking the stations in, but if you don't live in a fringe area, I doubt you'll have a problem.

The price is certainly right now that they are being closed out.

12. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I've owned a SIR-T151 for over a year, and the unit has worked quite well. Those online prices listed earlier in the thread are very good -- I paid over $350 for the 151 a year ago.

And as it's been stated elsewhere in this thread, the 151 is an ATSC-only tuner (no NTSC).

14. Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas Second Unit

I went out today to pick up a 151 but got a Zenith 420 instead. Long story with Costco and a company card etc. Since I haven't tried any sort of HDTV I picked up a Zenith 420 and a Silver Sensor. I wasn't really expecting much using an indoor antenna but was able to tune in CBS,NBC,ABC and a couple of Ind. stations. Anyway I was able to watch the NFL game tonight and had the signal drop out a few times but came back after a munute or two. On CBS I watched CSI and Without a Trace and both looked excellent and no drop outs at all. If I decide to try a 151 I'll get one next week after I go back to work. The 420 is more but seems to work really well for me. I have 30 days to return it if I want. So far I'm in HDTV bliss so I'm not looking to return anything yet [​IMG].
    Later
    Jim

15. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I ordered a 151 yesterday, and should have it next tuesday.

Then I'll see what I can get with rabbit ears otherwise I'll have to get a bigger antenna [​IMG]

Brian

16. Mike Coady

Mike Coady Agent

I want to give either the Samsung or Zenith a try, but don't know which. I've read the reviews and both have pros and cons. I would like to know if performance and features tilt it toward one or the other?

I'm about 60 to 70 miles away from stations (rural area) so this may not work anyway, although I do have a large multi-directional antenna on a 30 to 50ft tower.

Are their any newer models by Samsung or Zenith (or coming out)that address the short-comings of both units?

Finally any suggestions where I can buy cheap or would even consider used if in good condition? Thanks!

Mike

17. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    You can get a Samsung T151 off eBay for circa $200 as mentioned earlier. The ones that tend to go for $200-220 are refurbished w/ 90-day warranty from Samsung. The ones that go for $150-160 tend to be "as is", especially from Chance Deals w/ no guarantees at all.

You can also try getting a Samsung T150 for a little less instead. From what I understand the T150 is only very slightly less sensitive than the T151, but has a couple extra features that could be useful.

From what I can gather, the Zenith's advantage is more useful if you live in a city, where multipath signals are a problem. In rural areas, I'd think multipath is almost a non-issue.

_Man_

PS: My unit from Chance Deals just arrived today, so I'll be giving it a try w/ my old Recoton powered indoor antenna near downtown Brooklyn this weekend. And I can compare the output w/ my Time Warner HD feed.

18. Mike Coady

Mike Coady Agent

Thanks for the info. So since I need a tuner that's very sensitive because of the distances involved, the Zenith wouldn't necessarily be better than the Samsung in that regard?

Mike

19. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I can vouch for the SIR-T150. It works very well for me with a silver sensor. I'm about 30 mi north of the HD signals but can pull most any channel. Make sure if you grab one off Ebay, it comes w/a remote. I made the mistake of not getting one w/a remote and Samsung wants $78 + s/h for a replacement. I asked them if any of their other component remotes would work (they are on ebay all the time for less than $20) but got nowhere.