What's new

Samsung series 7 or 8 question (1 Viewer)

CHEVYTRUCKMAN171

Auditioning
Real Name
JAY
i am looking into getting a samsung 52" lcd tv im torn between the series 7 or 8 from what i can tell the only major difference is that the series 8 is thiner. if anyone can help me with other differances i would apreciate it. bin searching the web but really cant find any true comparison

looked at them again on the samsung website the resolution is diff 8 series 1920 (h) x 1080 (v)
7 series 1920 x 1080 what does the h and v mean any help would be apreciated thanks

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer

H=horizontal=1920 pixels from side to side

V=vertical=1080 pixels top to bottom

1080x1920 is the highest resolution used by any HD source, and so far the highest resolution of any display device. Both the 7 and 8 series are 1080vx1920h.

The 8 series uses an LED based backlight, the 7 series uses the much more common CCFL (Cold Cathode Flourescent) backlight. Supposedly the LED backlight has a wider wavelength and thus colors theoretically should be more accurate. I don't notice any significant difference other than the thickness of the set.

You might also consider the 650 series as the only thing it lacks vs the 750 and 850 is the preloaded slide show and recipes loaded on an internal memory.

CHEVYTRUCKMAN171

Auditioning
Real Name
JAY

From what I have read the only one that has the led back light is the 9 series also the 650 series doesnt have the computer link and i dont think its 120hz

SethH

Senior HTF Member
The 650 is 120Hz. It does have an ethernet port and can display Yahoo widgets, but it is not DLNA compatible like the 750 is.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
It is true that the LED backlight is in the 9 series. The only difference between the 7 and 8 series is that the 8 series is less than 2 inches deep and the 7 series is about 4.5 inches deep. I picked up a 46-inch 8 series model (what can I say...I wanted the thinner profile
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
) before Christmas and have been very happy with the PQ.

CHEVYTRUCKMAN171

Auditioning
Real Name
JAY
i would like to be able to play movies from my computer on the tv can i do that with the 6 series without dlna or only with the 8 n 7 with the dlna if i have to run a wire i dont mind just need to know if i can do it or not

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I do not believe you could stream video from your computer with the 6 series. You should be able to stream video from your computer with the 7 series if you run an ethernet cable to it (I don't think there's a way to do wireless on it yet).

Another thing to consider is what other sources you will have. If you are planning to buy a BluRay player, or if you have an Xbox 360, you may be able to stream video from your computer to that device and display it on your TV which would allow you to go with the 6 series.

CHEVYTRUCKMAN171

Auditioning
Real Name
JAY

the 6 series does have an ethernet port if its only for yahoo widgets that wouldnt make sense. i have read that with the dlna you can stream wireless but even if i cant i dont mind running a wire

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I agree with your sentiments about the 6 series, but I'm almost positive that the ethernet port on the 6 series is only for their "Infolink" system . . . I do not believe it supports their "Wiselink" system which is the system that streams video, etc from a computer.

CHEVYTRUCKMAN171

Auditioning
Real Name
JAY
ok another question for u guys i went to pc richards talked the guy down to a great price for the 7 series which i didnt get they screwed me on the financeing. i asked the guy the differeance between the 7 and 8 series he said u can download movies and content derectly to the 8 series. now in all my research on these i found nothing that says i can download directly to the 8 did this salesman not know what he was talking about or is this true

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I believe that is planned on the new models that were announced at CES and it is also true of their higher-end bluray player . . . but I do not believe they have announced a firmware update for any of the current models that would provide this functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks