What's new

Samsung rolls out OLED TV -- for $13K... (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Must be new news on Sony's front. Last I read they inked a deal to buy Korean panels.

It was wrongly assumed back in early '12 that it was Samsung who gave DuPont tons of money. Nope, it was Panny. That is why they don't have any money. Buy Kuro Tech and then fund DuPont...while buying Sanyo to "kill it"...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes but i think it's Taiwan and AU Optronics, i believe from what i have read that Panasonic and Sony are teaming up to fight the Korean manufacturers, mind you i think that was old news from last year, maybe things have changed since then.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It may be wrongly assumed when I say "DuPont printed board" means it will only be American.

It is possible that TV manufacture could return to the US...because of printed board. AU Optronics is one of the plants where printed board is being tested. They already make double sided flexible printed board. What DuPont is making would easily be integrated into what AU Optronics is doing. AU Optronics would be able to create two direction advertising board using OLED. DuPont can create printed board in "infinite size".

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It would be good if they can develop the roll up OLED sets, i believe Sony showed a tiny super thin version back in 2011, i believe if we are to get much bigger displays in the home then something you can roll up would be perfect, much like memory foam mattresses it would make delivery easier for the average home, no idea if they intend to keep developing such technology or whether it may be limited to camera phones.

:EDIT: Just looked that up, that Sony screen used a new technology called QD, Quantum Dot Display, but OLED screens you can bend have also been in development.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Quantum Dot is still a gap patch. It is just the back light for something else. LCD will still have uses...just not as television. QD backlt LCD would work for sigh boards that don't have to change much(like airport signs to change flight times...or change to boarding/delayed).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks