1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung R-100 good, really cheap but....

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by steve_wener, Feb 10, 2005.

1. steve_wener

steve_wener Auditioning

This is a fairly new low price-point machine with no HD. I liked the machine the day I hooked it up because I was comparing to a VHS but....
    I am finding that there is a quality difference from the original signal compared to the same signal going thru the machine to the tv. In order to maintain the highest quality I am going S-Video from my cable box (it has no component out) to the R-100 to the TV. This setup forces me to watch TV thru the recorder (it must be on). I compared it to a direct feed to the tv and I can see enough of a difference that it bothers me. I am assuming it has something to do with the DACs. Does anyone know if higher price range machines will make this problem a non issue?

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I doubt it. Try what I do. I have a splitter that redirects the single cable line coming in from the wall to the STB and recorder. I then have a coax line going from the STB to my VCR (yep still have one). The STB is hooked directly to my TV via S-Video for analog and component for HD broadcasts and the DVD recorder is hooked via component (the VCR is hooked via S-video) to the TV. I don't have a coax line going to my TV at all so the TV is basically just a monitor. The only limitation to this is that you will get only basic cable to the recorder. To over come this limitation I have the STB hooked to the composite input on my DVDR so I can watch the premium channels and record them to the DVDR. Unfortunately I can't watch one program and record another if I record the premium channels unless I watch the TV through the VCR. Anyway, it works fine.[​IMG]

3. Dave Will

Dave Will Auditioning

I have a different question about the R-100. Right now I am trying to decide which DVD recorder (under $300) to buy. I had narrowed it down to 2, the Panasonic DMR-E55 or the Toshiba D-R2, but then I learned of the R-100. I downloaded the manual and have been studying it. Nowhere do I find any statement that not all manufacturers' DVD media will work in it. Toshiba has a section which states which brands of disks have been tested and will work in their recorder. Has anyone heard of any problems with the Samsung R-100 regarding brand sensitivity? My Sony DVD burner on my PC has a lot of difficulty with Memorex DVD-R media. I wrote to Memorex and they sent me a new package of disks. The Sony still turns them into coasters. Other brands work okay. Can anyone help with this?
    [​IMG]

4. steve_wener

steve_wener Auditioning

I've only used the memorex DVD-R with the R-100 and not one coaster. The manual does not include the DVD-RAM brand
    I am using (Panasonic) in it's recommended list and they work perfectly. I have to say that with the R-100 I have not experienced any problems with burning or playback at all. The picture quality using S-Video is unbelieveable.