Samsung-PCL5415R New in the box 1499.00 out the door! Questions????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff L, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

To all that may educate us,
    Today we left to buy a RPT for my brother and came home with nothing but a piece of paper.
    I and he are full blown newbies to the TV world and its 480i, 1080i, interlace, line doubleing, upscaleing, etc, mumbo jumbo.....! [​IMG]
    First with much haggeling and near fist fights, [​IMG] I got this price on paper, authorized and signed from the stores main man. 1499.99 plus tax for the new Samsung-PCL5415R... He can buy it when ever he wants, walk in present paper walk out with RPT...
    Please tell me first that this is a good deal?
    Thier ON SALE selling price is, 1999.99 and thier cost for the set is 1429.00. A good friend works there and did a little undercover work to find thier acutual cost.
    I have been trying to find info on this set and cant seem to find anything much at all. Combine this wth my lack of knowledge and you see our delemia!
    I hope some of you will help me to understand some things about this set and the workings of all the mumbo jumbo to us, and what it all means.
    First, it has a built in line doubler, what exactly is this and how and when would you use it?
    Is it automatic, or can you turn it on and off?
    It says that it has NTS, ED, and (HD when useing a set top box for a HD signal.) What is ED?
    Would this set give a decent picture with a non progressive dvd player? Also what about useing a progressive player, then what?
    Dose this set do the upconversion that everyone talks about? Like the Sony-53HS10.
    I know from my questions you can see I know just enough to know nothing about what im talking about. [​IMG]
    All these questions and anything else that may pertain to the use of this set and its abilitys with cable tv,regular outside antenna, along with progressive and non progressive dvd players would be so helpfull!
    I know you will be tempted to suggest other RPT's and thats fine but please remember 90% of his viewing is 4.3 and the BIGGEST CONCERN NOW is what all the stuff I mentioned above means and how it all works. Its alot to ask of you guys, basicly to give a crash course in everything, but anything you can provide will be more than we know now.
    ===========
    Which obviously aint squat!!!
    ===========
    Thank you all so very much in advance!!!
    Geoff

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Ok so now going on 7hrs of searching and reading all over the web, forums, search engines, private sites, etc starting to get some what of a grip on the questions above.
    Dose anyone know if the line doubler in this set can be selected off for standard 4.3 viewing. As I understand this, this is going to cause alot of artifacting with poor signal sources. Am I correct with this train of thought?
    Dose anyone know anything about this new Samsung series?
    Dose it do the squeezzzz?
    Can you get into the service menu easily, when I learn more, as right now, Im a bomb that could go off anytime, ~ really screwing the set up.. [​IMG]
    It seems information on this line is just not avaiable yet?
    Samsungs web site is basicly worthless for info, and the dealer (Best Buy) try as he did, knows didly! Add to that my ignorence and well you get he picture!
    What true resolution dose this set have?
    Power supply, anything on this?
    Dose anyone have anything on this new line even if its second hand and not in house proven.
    I must say the DVD feed they where running to the set, (buy what inputs, what player, and at what settings on both RPT and player,
    I dont know.
    ~I know~ good lord man do some home work!!!! As stated above I/we dont know squat, and doing everyhing I/we can (in hind sight to learn.) At least we waited and just got the good price on paper.
    Anyway the picture ~ (A Bugs Life) was stunning (to our untrained eyes) to say the least! Meaning simply, very very clear and sharp. This corner to corner and right on top of it. Just absolutly no grain.
    Also very bright, would seem a good set for bright rooms.. Of course I didnt check, the set could have been all pump up as they usually do in store. Still the picture was amazingly good....
    Sorry to keep pushing,but anybody got anything on this Samsung line? PLC5415R
    Thanks
    Geoff
    [Edited last by Geoff L on September 23, 2001 at 08:06 AM]