Samsung PCL5415R looks really good today-is there a catch?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MTrotter, Mar 29, 2002.

1. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc
    Saw this set at Sears next to Toshiba 50"ws and 47"ws Panasonic today. The Panasonic was WAY red and I could not change that. The Samsung surprised me with a very good 16:9 image which was within a hair of the Toshiba. There was just a hint of red on the Samsung. Flesh tones were good. Also, with a 54" size, the 16:9 image comes out to about 49". Is there any reason to avoid the Samsung that I don't know about? Does it lock into "full" mode on progressive signals? I have a Panny RP91, so that may not matter.

2. NathanS

NathanS Agent

No catch; the Samsungs are a great value. They do lock into full mode with a progressive input, but with your RP91, you'll be in good shape.

By the way, I've got the 47" Samsung, and love it.

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I bought the Sammy 54" analog 4:3 set three months ago and am very pleased - best value and a very good picture,if a bit soft. I can get to the 54-point convergence and am discussing having it calibrated in the near future. It should do quite well for a couple of years until I move to front projection.

4. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

O.K. Guys-
    Help me out just a little ... I was also at Sears this afternoon where I live and saw the Samsung 47" WS. I know that the Panasonic 47" locks in FULL with a progressive signal, and was just about to settle on the Samsung when I read NathanS's post that says that even the SAMSUNG locks into Full mode. I bought a Panasonic RP56 player before Christmas thinking it was the thing to do, but now it looks like I'm "up Salt Creek ...".
    Can anyone recommend another RPTV that won't break my back pocket?[​IMG] I really didn't think selecting a set would be that hard and am getting really discouraged because I don't (can't) take my DVD player back.
    I really wanted the Sammy because of the price ($1899 + no interest) and now it seems I'm running out of options. Will I have to go w/ a direct view?

5. NathanS

NathanS Agent

WilliamG,

Just switch your DVD player to an interlaced signal for non-anamorphic DVD's, and control the viewing mode with the TV. If you can live with that, go with the Samsung.

6. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

The only thing I've wondered about the set is how non-HD (SDTV as well as analog) looks on it. I never checked, nor had an answer when I've asked, if the overall picture looks a little soft like the analog version Hank mentioned.

However, even if it is similar for one or both of those types of signals, or even HD for that matter, it's still a heck of a bang-for-the-buck 54" HDTV.