1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Pay

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by [email protected], Oct 20, 2015.

1. huskerbear@frontier.com

[email protected] Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    Anybody try this yet? Sounds very innovative to me. The nice thing is you don't have to wait for stores to start offering NFC payments. I have yet to actually see one of the NFC machines. Many seem to be getting the chip card reader, which I thought they would add the NFC reader at the same time, but most seem to be dragging their feet. I don't have one of the newer phones that are needed for this but, I am due for an upgrade.

http://www.samsung.com/us/samsung-pay/

2. KeithAP

KeithAP Screenwriter
    Supporter

Keith
    It sounds interesting but there are some limitations....

-Keith

3. huskerbear@frontier.com

Mike
    I assume they are not talking about chip card machines? ^^^^^

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Curious. I don't understand how this is as secure as the Chip and Pin systems, since it's essentially a mag-stripe interaction. In any case, it will be interesting to see how adoption goes. But with the roll out of Chip/Pin readers this Fall, I anticipate NFC payments to become much more common and this solution to be much less useful. Still, for farmers-market venues, where vendors only have basic strip-readers (or Square + iPad payment systems) this could be a boon for shoppers.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00043865/997410383/

Unrelated to the technology per se, the promo video was a little annoying in places.

"Fancy" stores? Fancy like McDonalds or Panera?

Also, regarding the ending 'gag' :)

5. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I don't know why Samsung needs their own. Android "had" wallet already(or it was wallet...or is now wallet. I deleted it from my LG as it was useless around here).

I like the idea of NFC as Chase already set up their app to use NFC.

Why "device makers" have to get in the way of a bank/credit card app and NFC readers is beyond reason.

Chase already said each use of the app/NFC feature creates a one-off number that lasts mere seconds. Similar to what PayPal had ages ago for one time website payments. I used that constantly.

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yup, dead before launch

7. huskerbear@frontier.com

Mike
    They are using the same tokenization that android and apple pay are using. Should be just as secure but much more useful right now because so few places have NFC in place.
    I'm sure it changes from area to area, but around here we are seeing chip card readers all over but, to my surprise none of them have NFC. Samsungs solution works with both. Much more useful right now.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/01/samsung-pay-will-use-magnetic-strip-tech-to-trump-apple-pay-android-pay/

8. huskerbear@frontier.com

Mike

Could be. None of the mobile payment systems have really been a great success. I wonder if the general public really cares. However with Samsungs system working with both NFC and the mag stripe readers that are EVERYPLACE and Samsung selling 80 million phones per quarter and 50 million of those potentially working Samsung pay, I'm not sure if I'd be so quick to rule it out.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-on-track-to-sell-50-million-Galaxy-S6-and-6-edge-units-this-year-says-research-firm_id69973

9. huskerbear@frontier.com

Mike

I agree. Reminds me of digital movies where everybody seems to think they need their own proprietary set up.

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
  11. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    I read this morning where Chase Bank is doing their own payment system with QR codes and taking pictures of receipts.

12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    That sounds like the CurrenC group. It's a terrible idea badly done.

13. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    And that needs to die the death of 1000 suns.

14. huskerbear@frontier.com

Mike
    Haven't read much on the CurrenC deal but it sounds like your using your bank account instead of a credit card. I think many people like to use debit instead of credit cards or write checks. If they could offer me the savings of not having to pay 2-4% to the credit card company, I would listen, why not?

15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Yes, CurrentC is a system cooked up by retailers in an attempt to get customers to stop using credit cards, so they don't have to pay the credit card processing fee. And it's executed with one of these stupid, multi-step, create-a-QR-code apps. Feh.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/25/cvs-begins-disabling-nfc-terminals-in-stores-to-cut-off-apple-pay-support-in-favor-of-currentc/

http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/25/currentc/

But they don't. And they won't. The whole point is to not give up that 2% to credit card companies. If they have to give it back to you instead, they're still losing.

16. huskerbear@frontier.com

Mike
    Sam, you seem to want to kill off all these mobile payment systems, are you against the whole concept for some reason?

17. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I'm very opposed to CurrenC. That said, I have AndroidPay system and Samsung Pay.. and let me say, SamsungPay is frankly the best I've worked with out of any for one reason: I've not had a problem getting it to work anywhere. Lay my phone down, press my fingerprint, and bam, the card reader works. I've used it at gas pumps with a swipe reader (it doesn't work with the insert kind), but grocery stores, movie theaters, works with people who have Square like a snap, and the link up is fast.. frankly, in comparison to both Android and Apple's system, it is so freaking easy to work with and so universally accepted.. with very few exceptions I've made it work damn near everywhere..

I've found that for the most part, I almost never need my business cards on travel as I just have them in Samsung pay and it works.

18. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Nope, I am opposed to shitty systems that are consumer hostile. Anything relying on stupid QR codes etc fits into that realm. If there is a system as good for consumers as Apple Pay I am all for it. I am watching the Google one closely but I only run Google tables and toys, not phones.

19. huskerbear@frontier.com

Mike
    And this is why I'm thinking over going with Samsung, it's way ahead of everybody in usability. The only problem for me is I don't have a credit card from one of the banks they have signed up. I'm hoping they get more added soon.

20. huskerbear@frontier.com

Mike
    Yep, unfortunately all these systems are proprietary. If all you use is Apple there isn't much of a choice in mobile payment systems. Android has 2---so far. Sounds to me like the best one of them all is Samsung pay, but again, proprietary, and limited....