What's new

Samsung or Mitsubishi (1 Viewer)

Paul Dyer

Auditioning
Hello!
Next week I will be receiving a yearly bonus from my employer. I would like to purchase my first hdtv. I am considering purchasing either the Samsung hl-s5687w or the Mitsubishi wd-57731. It is easy to find comments on the Samsung, but I can not find that much about the Mitsubishi. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. I do plan to save and buy either a playstation 3 or a blu-ray player in a few months, so the fact that both are 1080p appeals to me. I am a bit worried about the rainbow effect, but it appears that I don't see it, although stories of people who could not see it until weeks later after having purchased a dlp set do make me a bit uneasy. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

gts

Auditioning
Real Name
Glenn
I just bought the Samsung HL-S5687W and love it. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat just for the DVD quality I'm seeing from my early generation player. My DirecTV upgrade will be here in a few days, so no HDTV yet. I'm expecting to see an outstanding picture once I have it.

I tripped over the rainbows when I glanced across the room (moving my eyes quickly). If I try, I can make them appear. I was worried about the rainbows as well and I've seen them BUT only when the image is very dark AND when I "dart" my eyes back and forth. I'd have to say that they're not as severe as I was worried about and definitely not a deal breaker for a DLP. Of course, YMMV.

Congrats on the bonus!:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul Dyer

Auditioning
Thanks for your comments. I have not been able to observe the rainbows but am still just a bit uneasy over the possibility that I might begin to see them perhaps weeks later, after buying my new tv. Other than that, it seems that a dlp set, such as the Samsung, offers more possibilites for someone such as myself. For my budget, I would have to choose a much smaller lcd or plasma set.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
FYI - Samsung has a new model coming out in a matter of weeks called HL-T5687S. This uses LEDs and does not have a color wheel so it virtually eliminates the rainbow effect. The LEDs also last for over 20,000 hours (around 5x-10x the life of a bulb).

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
Go with the Mitsubishi

I researched the Samsung for a friend recommended it and I was going into Ultimate Electronics to buy it and they happened to have the Mits sitting right next to it. It had only been out a week and I had no idea it was out. After seeing the two sitting next to each otheer I just couldn't pass up the clarity brightness deep blacks and wonderful picture the Mits produced. If this set would have been out when my buddy was looking for a tv I would have recommended this one instead. Having this TV in my house since August has been a dream I couldn't be happier with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks