What's new

samsung LN40C630 calibration settings? (1 Viewer)

photoguy6233

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Coffman
I just bought this tv and I used the calibration disc from monster to set it up. I am not real happy with the calibration. Does anyone have correct calibration settings that maximize the display on the tv? Thanks!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
your settings should be more accurate than anybody elses.

what mode did you start in?

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Originally Posted by photoguy6233

What should backlight be se5 to when calibrating?
Backlight is used fundamentally to compensate for ambient room lighting conditions- lower for a darker room, higher for a brighter room.

Set black level and backlight level in room lighting conditions you maintain when performing your most critical viewing (movies, etc.).

The video industry standard reference recommendation for TV room lighting is totally dark, except for D65 bias lighting behind the display at 10% of screen peak white.

Adjust black level and backlight for darkest standard video black (not below black), while still preserving shadow detail, by using a PLUGE pattern.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
You should be aware that if you've never properly calibrated a display using some of the guidelines mentioned here, you should expect to end up with an image that, at first glance, seems darker than what you're probably used to.

Give the calibration settings a chance - try for several days to a week before changing them. You will find that when properly calibrated, details that might have been masked prior to calibration are revealed.

Also, if you watch tv in wildly different ambient conditions (very bright during the day, but very dark at night) you may want to consider setting up two display settings - one for day and one for night. That way each setting will be better tuned to the viewing conditions.

photoguy6233

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Coffman
I calibrated my old LG tv with this same technique. After using the dvd to calibrate i found that the input with dish network looked similar to the video i corrected using the dvd so all was good. On this samsung, when i apply the settings to the input with dish network it looks a lot different than how the video looked from the calibrated dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks