Samsung - "letterbox defeater"

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Albert Noel, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Albert Noel

Albert Noel Stunt Coordinator

please, excuse my ignorance. i'm just a bit dumbfounded.
    i was walking around wal-mart yesterday looking for a christmas gift for my brother. got the idea of grabbing him up a nice little dvd player. it was a sammy and at $106, how can you go wrong? i was a little mad when i discovered one of the features was "EZ View"

what is samsung thinking by putting what is basically a zoom button on the front of the player and labelling it "EZ VIEW" (letterbox defeater in the manual)??

this is giving the consumer the wrong idea. especially the usually un-OAR/widescreen-educated people who shop at wal-mart. shouldn't they be more about educating the public about OAR and such instead of telling how to get rid of it?

i realise they may be doing it just for sales to the butchered pan&scan viewers, but why? i just don't understand [​IMG]

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It's just marketing, Albert.

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

It's basically ZOOM by another name/description.

4. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

It could also be a slight mistranslation.

//Ken

5. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

That's great, sort of like using the zoom button to fill up the 16:9 screen when watching TV programs.

6. Albert Noel

Albert Noel Stunt Coordinator

i realize it's less than i am making it out to be.
    i had a better look at the unit itself today.

the unit actually is pretty good, that button is just basically the same asthe zoom button. like Jack said, it's pretty much just marketing.

7. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Except for the fact that it plants the seed of letterbox being a negative that requires "defeating". As if it was a pop-up ad, or had weapons of mass destruction.

8. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

9. Reginald Trent

Like I said, zoom by any other name is still zoom. [​IMG]

10. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Samsung has the "Zoom" feature on their tv's

11. larry mac

larry mac Stunt Coordinator

My latest DVD is an AKAI. It has a feature called the AFF button (I'm assuming automatic full frame?). This is not a simple zoom button, which is unfortunately used by many to defeat widescreen.

This AFF does not cut any picture from the left and right. It does however stretch the image vertically. Not the entire way, it is still letterbox, but enough to make the picture bigger.

I'll have to admit that I poo-pood this idea at first as nonsense for the uneducated masses. But as an experiment, I tried it out and now say it can be a useful tool for someone with a small to medium TV. Mine is a 32", and it just made a huge difference, or rather improvement. The picture is bigger, brighter seeming, and more enjoyable to watch. You LOSE NOTHING of the original image. However, everything is stretched vertically.

Example, Lord of the Rings. The hobbits appear skinnier. But, after watching it this way for awhile, and then swithing back to extreme letterbox, they seem TOO FAT.

I'm not saying this is good for everyone or every setup. But I would rather see this where at least you get all of the original picture as opposed to lopping off half the picture. Also, I would rather see all DVD players have this feature, and all DVD's be widescreen version only! This way, everyone could be happy.

12. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

How about calling it the "Stupid" button...

13. Reginald Trent

Larry, it sounds like your AKAI simply switch to 16:9 mode doing so would display the images you describe on a 4:3 TV.

14. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Dean's right but Samsung is not the only company Philips also has the "Zoom" Mode on their tv's too.