1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Samsung Launches Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player; Fox Commits To 4K and HDR Content

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    I would think HDR could be used to faithfully reproduce the full dynamic range captured on 35mm film, but we'll see.

2. Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal Screenwriter

Koroush Ghazi
    I wasn't aware that current HDTVs are that far off the dynamic range of traditional cinema projectors for which 35mm film was originally designed. If anything, don't TVs like plasmas have a better range than projectors due to lower blacks? Can someone factually clarify this aspect?

I don't picture HDR as being aimed at providing a subtle, natural boost to contrast. Since I first heard about it, everything I've read seems to indicate that HDR is more about giving an image substantial 'pop', and that's really the gimmick manufacturers want because it's an image quality aspect that's very noticeable in-store, more so than natural colors and higher resolution.

Again from what I've read, 4K OLED is necessary to really get the most out of HDR because it can provide the zero black level to really get the dynamic range. The 4K LEDs can provide pop using higher brightness but not the blacks.

ROclockCK likes this.
  3. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    I believe that the REC-709 spec is limited to 5 stops of dynamic range from 0 to 100%, while film has a range of around 13 stops.

4. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

If that set of releases is the kind of stuff that will come out in 4K, my bank account is safe.

5. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    The following is from the "Little House on the Prairie: building the best possible collection" thread, but I believe it has some unfortunate relevance here:

This begs the following question: How do Ultra HD Blu-ray Players stand a chance of gaining any kind of foothold, when a popular chain, such as Wal-Mart is barely even carrying 1080p Blu-ray Players? :P

CHEERS! :)

6. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    I like to see how things pan out. It's not so much the $$ of a new format, it's the changing of everything in my system to accomodate it, the associated re-calibration and setup time (I'm very picky in that weird way).

I need to make sure there's enough content I care about first. I think I'd mostly get new actual 4K movies on UHD first of all. Wowing myself, if it happens, would encourage me to check out the back catalog titles. I still don't mind watching stuff on DVD, not at all, especially since that's the only way it comes. There are just so many DVD titles I have that I'd never get again on BD, and I bet the same thing will happen when I pare down the BD->UHD upgrade titles.

I don't use a PJ anymore, and I sit 8' from the screen so increased resolution won't play much of a factor in what I'll see. I really do appreciate the increased depth and color gradation of BD vs DVD, so yeah, more of that is up my alley.

7. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Cinematographer

Anthony
    My local supermarket here in Woodend in rural Victoria Australia is selling 1080p Blu ray players for about $70 (about $60 US) which must say something about improved penetration. No discs on offer though ....

8. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    I agree with Mr. Thompson. I guess that my bank account is resting a little easier with that selection of launch titles.

9. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Screenwriter

Joel Fontenot
    Good for you. I can't spend my money so freely. I want to, so I keep up with what's going on, I just can't act so quickly.

10. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Looks like I will be clearing a shelf for 4K/UHD titles in a few months.

11. RJ992

RJ992 Supporting Actor

Joel
    I hear that! These are $500 players and they don't even have 3D??? Plus the manufacturers rarely apply future updates to many players after a year or two. I know future models will have the feature and maybe then we'll see how prices and other things pan out. For titles such as LIFE OF PI or EXODUS, the 3D makes a bigger difference than any additional pixels. So I'll be waiting a while before I even consider one of the players.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It took me three different video formats, but I've learned my lesson as I won't be buying these initial 4K/UHD players. They'll be obsolete within months just like my Sony DVP-7000 player that I bought August,1997 and then my player purchases of June, 2006 when I bought at the same time from the late Circuit City, a RCA's HDV-5000 HD DVD player and a Samsung's BD-P1000 Blu-ray player. Despite the almost instant gratification I experienced those two summers, I basically wasted almost $2,500 on players that were functional, but missing some key features that were essential to fully enjoying those DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray discs I bought back then.

I am not going to make that same mistake with this new video format especially with me just starting my retirement. I can't afford to replace HT equipment within a short period of time because they don't give me the full functionality I require to truly enjoy these nice, shiny new discs. I might buy some of these discs in 2016, but I won't fully commit to this new video format equipment-wise until 2017 at the earliest.

13. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk
    I went through four different DVD players in the first two years of DVD, from May 1997 on. Pioneer, Sony, Toshiba, and Sony again, with all of them buggy or having problems with some discs. I was saying all that time that you really needed two DVD players to play all the discs properly. And HD-DVD and Blu-Ray was the same kind of start-up, as I'm sure we all remember. I feel lucky that one of the four Samsung combination HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players I went through still plays my remaining HD-DVD's. I'll wait until I have a 4K display (or projector) before adding a UHD player, because it won't be for awhile, and I bet it'll be a more refined product. None of this augurs well for the marketers of 4K/UHD, in my opinion. When an enthusiast and easy sell like me can't see the point of a new video format, let alone get excited about it...well, it's the first time that's happened to me in over 30 years.

14. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
  15. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

I don't know. I bought My Toshiba DVD player when they launched and it was one of the best players I ever owned. Very reliable, and tons of features. I was really happy with it. My first Blu Ray player was a PS3, so no worries there. I have faith the first batch of UHD players will be something great.

I know I will keep my first player in stellar shape with the box and everything. So if there is a feature that I absolutely have to have on another player say a year down the road, I will simply sell my old one and use the cash to buy the better model.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    The Toshiba came after the Sony-7000 which didn't have progressive video. I bought a Toshiba less than 9 months later that had progressive video. Let me say this, I rather wait and see how all of this shakeout before I commit serious monies to new HT equipment for this video format.

SAhmed and Bryan^H like this.
  17. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Of course you are taking the more logical route in doing so.
    I wish my willpower were as strong, but depending on the movies available at launch I might wait as well.

18. CraigF

CraigF Producer

Craig
    The PS3 is and was a unique case in "BD players". Whodathunkit? God those first Sony BDPs were lousy, except for the PS3. Of course, we really didn't know anything, yet.

But as I have learned from being an "older" tech guy: stick to the second or third gens of new consumer electronic categories. The second gen is usually a good buy because they still make the gear very solidly, plus it's concept/implementation is debugged. The first gen is usually well-built, but is quite expensive, feature-limited, and typically not that reliable (good build does not equal reliable, in engineering terms, high tech usually isn't reliable, the manufacturers learn very quickly what stands up in the field). The third gen shows a noticeable cheapening in build quality: now we're at the commodity stage. Fourth gen: cheap, lightweight, and disposable. At least it's a good sign for a format that we got that far!

Oppo especially excepted, but then they're usually coming out with their first gen when the biggies are coming out with their (at least) second gen, and Oppo is aiming at a much less price-sensitive market segment. Edit: Not to be a jerk about it, and I'm not a flag-waving fan-boy, but I've got the experience with players that I want to see what Oppo does. Then I'll judge the merits of what others offer. I think Oppo thinks like I do: let's see what pans out, being good doesn't mean being first when it comes to tech.

19. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

That's pretty much spot on with the evolution of product generations. If we take the original Sony BDP-S1 out of the equation then the change from the BDP-S300/500 to the S350/550 generation was HUGE, the latter players were so much smaller and faster (whilst still well built) it wasn't funny. That said, this isn't 2005 any more so even if I hadn't seen pics of the Sammy/Panny UHD players I wouldn't have thought that they'd be tank-like, and they're not, they're the same size as any of the current higher-end models from the main manufacturers (speciality Oppo tanks aside).

Doesn't mean they'll be fast-loading admittedly, but then BD itself isn't lightning fast, so as long as we're not waiting 5 minutes for UHD discs to load then it'll probably be a pretty transparent experience to regular BD players, the spectre of online authentication notwithstanding.

I'm still not jumping in straight away though, no way. My 4K TV doesn't have HDR, WCG and all the other goodies which will set the 2K-upscaled Fox content apart from regular BD, so in those cases I'd still be better off buying the regular 1080p BD and upscaling it at my end. There will be genuine 4K goodness as well, true, but I'm still not convinced that an uptick in spatial resolution alone will provide a massive increase in PQ on my 55" from my normal viewing distance of 7ft or so.

20. RJ992

RJ992 Supporting Actor

Joel
    I generally avoid what I call "interim" formats. I did that with DVD. With one exception, I never bought a DVD...I only rented. I knew HD was coming. There were already HD movies on laserdisc (MUSE) and even VHS (D-VHS) back in the 90s. So I knew HD discs would be along at some point.To me, DVD offered nothing over LD except weaker audio and a smaller size. So I waited. Glad I did, since I could then buy HD discs without having to replace old DVDs.

So now they want us to go 4K...all well and good, but I know 8K is coming. Prototype sets have already been displayed at CE shows. And it has already been announced that the Olympics will be broadcast in 8K. (In Japan, 8K UHDTV will be known as Super Hi-Vision.) Yeah, I might sit this 4K format out.

https://library.creativecow.net/kaufman_debra/InterBEE_Japan_Broadcast-8K-Olympics/1