Samsung HT-DL200P Sound Not Working

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MickeyD, Oct 8, 2005.

1. MickeyD

MickeyD Auditioning

Hi, I'm new here and hoping someone can help me with a technical repair question. I searched around the web for info on my system and found this forum.

I have a Samsung HT-DL200P home theater system, under 3 years old, but out of warranty.

The other day I went to watch a DVD, and discovered I had lost all sound function on the unit. I had been using it to listen to the radio only a short time earlier that day and it was working fine.

I did all the troubleshooting steps from the owner's manual and also called Samsung Tech support, and the guy there suggested a few other troubleshooting items, but nothing has worked. I get no sound from any of the speakers when using the radio, CDs, DVDs, using the headphones, or even using the Test Tone function on the unit. I have unplugged and re-plugged everything on the unit in various stages, but nothing has worked. Video still works fine, and the radio is getting signals, I can see from the display.

I'm thinking some circuit or board or something for the sound must have gone bad. I would like to try to replace/repair it myself, because I can order parts for this unit directly from Sears. If it's something easy to replace like a board or wiring, I'd be comfortable fixing it myself. I have taken the lid off, and don't see anything obviously burned or damaged inside.

The only other thing I'd done that day was that I sprayed some canned air on the back panel of the unit shortly before I went to play the DVD, to get off some dust which had accumulated on the RCA plugs, fan unit, and speaker wire plugs. I had also just removed an RCA plug from the Aux 2 jack to use on a different component. I don't think either thing is related, but I thought I'd mention it. Re: the canned air, I thought for awhile that maybe some condensation got in the unit, and that letting it sit per the User's Manual instructions would fix it, but that hasn't helped, and the Samsung phone tech guy said he doubted that was related anyway.

Is there any one component board or connection which would control all sound output and might have fried/died, and which could be replaced?

Thanks for any help or tips you can provide!
    Mickey

2. MickeyD

MickeyD Auditioning

Hi again, I'm bumping this up in hopes someone can steer me in the right direction. I can't afford to have the thing sent out to be fixed right now, and I'm sick that such a major purchase has died on me in under 3 years. If anyone has any suggestions on what might have made the sound completely die out, or can point me toward a site which would have technical info or drawings for my system, I'd appreciate it.

MickeyD