What's new

Samsung HLM617W (1 Viewer)

ChadFetter

Grip
I am considering upgrading my 50" High Def Toshiba Widescreen. Stopped into Ultimate Electronics, and they couldn't stop talking about the Samsung DLP HLM617W.

Does anyone have any opionions on this TV?

Peter P

Auditioning
Well, I just ordered one at Best Buy. I got it for $3600. I won't really be able to check it out until after April 20 when it is delivered. The lights in showrooms are bright and the sets are uncalibrated.

I was going to get a Sony Grand Wega 61", but mine will be in a basement theater and the ONLY bad thing I could find about the Sony was that the blacks weren't really black. I know that the Samsung has some problems with "color temperature" (see article in "Home Theater Mag." Feb.04'), but I can't find anything perfect. It has a lot of complicated stuff, so if you get one, get the longest extended warranty you can. Best buy also will take it back within a month if I don't love it, so I feel safe.

I will post again after I see and calibrate it. Good luck.

Peter P

Auditioning
They were excited that they had just gotten them in at the Cleveland Best Buy and they were listing them at $4000. I asked what they would give it to me for if I bought it today. The salesman checked with the manager and was surprised himself that it was $3600. I think he said something like their store wanted to be the first to sell one or something. Whatever it was, I didn't do anything special.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks