What's new

samsung HL72A650 vs Samsung HL-T7288W (1 Viewer)

sadbttru

Agent
Real Name
Shane
Hello,

Been reading and thinking of my first HD TV. I am ashamed to write that I am currently using a 35 inch RCA that I bought new for 2600$ in 1997!! So it goes without saying that I take care of my things.

I have gone back and forth over which format (LCD, Plasma). I was pretty much set on the 60" kuros or the Panasonic 65" plasma. But I have started to think that any new set in my place is going to blow me away and so have been considering these big DLP's.

I am in canada and so do not have access to the mitsu 73" and our local costco has the A650, but I am leary of buying a big tv from costco.

current setup:
denon 3800
paradigm surrounds (monitor 9's, cc350, titans, phantoms, ps1000)
room is 38X18

thanks for the help

sadbttru

Agent
Real Name
Shane
i have figured out that the a650 is a newer set. Does anyone have any experience with this set?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Depends on what will blow you away. I find DLPs unimpressive -- and making a mediocre display larger just gives me more mediocrity. I bought a smaller plasma which is much more impressive to me. Others find just the opposite to be true. So look at displays and see whether you care more about size, black level, eye-searing brightness, or how easy the remote control is to use.

sadbttru

Agent
Real Name
Shane
if i can make up a word...
i am looking for "imersiveness" or something that is "imerstastic"

i was blown away by the 65" panasonic plasma,
but then i compared 6200$ to the 2500$ samsung.

I guess I am weighing that I will never see them side by side and I can have a tv a lot sooner if I go with the samsung.

tough to decide when it gets to that anount of money, especially when you consider the wife factor.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
On the flip side of Dave's "unimpressive" post.. There happens to be a 300 page long thread specifically dealing with the Samsung Phlatlight LED DLP sets where "former" owners of the Kuros Plasma and high end LCD sets, decided that DLP was where it's at..

There is nothing "unimpressive" about DLP it's the the technology that you will find in the best "real" movie theaters and it seems "good enough" for a theater...... LOL

I wouldn't even bother with the 650 line (bulb DLP's) the 61A750 and 67A750 are the newest generation bulbless DLP that use three high intensity LED's (PhatLight or Photonic Lattice Array Lighting) with an average life span of 60,000 hours, a wider color gamut, more contrast, more brightness, no fade, no loss of color accuracy over time.

If you think a DLP set might be for you, check out the LED models above..

sadbttru

Agent
Real Name
Shane
i saw those. So you think it would be better to go with the 67 series 7 rather than the 72 that is non led?

i was thinking that as well,
the Samsung HL67A750 67" DLP LED HDTV is 2300$ at a local store.

too bad they do not make a 72 in the LED.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Yes I would go for the 67 LED over the 72 Bulb because of all the reasons I listed above. But if acreage is the only deciding factor, I am sure the 72 is a good set, it's just that in 6000 hours that bulb will need to be changed.

sadbttru

Agent
Real Name
Shane
think i will take your advice and go with the newer tech on the 67.
thanks for the help,

now i have to convice the wife.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There's nothing wrong with DLP per se. But I'm no longer a fan of RPTV given the recent improvements in LCD & Plasma.

After front projection, DLPs have the lowest $$/inch. They have their own image tradeoffs that you need to evaluate against your viewing tastes.

And as Brett notes, there's a good thread all about the newest DLP RPTVs you should check out.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett

The 300+ page thread I am speaking of isn't on this forum and I don't want to post other forums.. If you google HL67A750 you will certainly find the thread I am speaking of and it has lots of information in it.

There are trade-off's with all technologies, you have to choose which technology fits your needs. If off angle viewing is an issue the DLP isn't the right choice.. Honestly Front Projection is the holy grail and it doesn't fit everyone's needs either.

Robert Fellows

Stunt Coordinator
I can understand why you may not wish to post a link, but giving a location such as "AVS Forum" would be helpful.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Of course it's the AVS forum. But if you do what I said (google the model number) it will bring up the page in the top 10.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
FP is seems the winner for $$/diagonal inch. But do the the best (consumer) projectors have blacks, contrast and color to match the best direct displays? We're still a few years off from the perfect display, I suppose.

And then we can debate which to buy for best 3D playback :D

sadbttru

Agent
Real Name
Shane
i think i am in for the series 7 67 "
going to do my haggling tomorrow at leon's and gibby's (canada)

2299.99 is the starting price, see where it goes from there.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett

There is not now, nor will there ever be a "Perfect" display.... We're humans, we can nit pick anything !
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks