What's new

samsung HL-S4266W- any reason not to? (1 Viewer)

rick!r*

Auditioning
Real Name
ricky r
First post. I'm not really a TV person, I'm more of a 2 channel audio guy. But I need to replace my slowly dying 32 inch toshiba crt and after doing some reading here and elsewhere, I'm leaning towards the 42 inch samsung dlp. I'm just wondering if there is any reason not to get it now -- new technology coming out, problems with the tech in this tv, substantial price drops coming a few months from now. That sort of thing.

Thanks for any help.

TicoTVA

Stunt Coordinator
HLS 4266 is actually a new set for Samsung you should be ok for a while with this model. Its 720p and has a great picture. 1080p resolution is the other options - a lot of which are just coming of pre-order and back- order status.
Keep in mind you'll pay more for 1080p

Ticotva
[email protected]

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I just ordered the HL-S4666W (46" vs 42") and I hope it was a good choice. I researched them as thoroughly as I could before I decided and went to some stores to actually see them in operation. Both of them looked great as far as I was concerned.
I guess I'll find out in a week or so.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I own a 4266 and love it. I was looking up the price on one for a client and just noticed that TVAuthority has dropped it to $1100. At this price it is almost a no brainer !!

rick!r*

Auditioning
Real Name
ricky r
thanks. i read that samsung had new technology for the new larger dlp sets and was just wondering if it was going to trickle down to the 42 inch set anytime soon. not being too up on tv tech, it is frustrating to buy something when something x-times better will be released a month or two later.

I went and checked out the picture this weekend to see if I saw the rainbow effect. happy to report that I saw nothing out of the ordinary -- other than the really poor calibration at my local best buy, which I suppose isn't really out of the ordinary.

I have also been looking at the Samsung 42" DLP mainly because my wife says it has to fit in our entertainment center and a 42" diagonal is as wide as I can go! I keep hoping that Samsung or some other name brand will come out with a 42" 1080p, but haven't seen it yet. I believe Westinghouse and Sceptre have 42" 1080p HDTV's, but I haven't found one yet to be able to view it. I keep telling myself that at 42" the difference between 720p and 1080p would not be that significant...would like to compare them to be sure!

Jack

rick!r*

Auditioning
Real Name
ricky r
i ordered it and it is coming this tuesday. I can't wait. Also will be ordering the oppo 970 dvd player to replace my non-upscaling dvd player (going with the 970 to avoid that macroblocking issue with the 971).

I have seen in some forums that people recommend immediately setting the tv to the following:

Digital NR - OFF
DNIe - Off (can this be switched off?)
Mode - Movie
Contrast - 50
Brightness - 50
Sharpness - 0
Color - 45
Tint - G50/R50
Color Tone - Warm2

I have a friend with the dve disc and he will bring it over so we can fine tune.

any other setting issues I should know about before starting out?

Thanks.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
My HL-S4666W is supposed to be here tomorrow (7-10-06) according to the sales rep @ TVAuthority. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread to get advice (or give some if I have it).

I have a question, though: I already have Video Essentials. It was a big help on my analog TV. Should I get the Digital Video Essentials now for the new TV? I haven't had time lately to do much research on the differences between VE & DVE.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks