What's new

Samsung HDTV (1 Viewer)

I received last week-end my new Samsung TSL3293 HDTV set. I want to add my comment on this set because when researching this forum for Samsung's products, little info came out. Threads that I founded scared me a bit, saying that we should stay away from Samsung.

Because price was a factor for me, I decided to take the risk and I bought this TV set at a local strore. I am pretty happy with this TV so far. After calibrating it with Video Essential, colors are better than the factory setting; but that was expected. I cannot comment on HDTV capabilities, but standard cable look good, maybe better than the 50" RPTV I just sold (it was a 3 years old Toshiba). DVDs are fantastic; the 16:9 mode work great, although it is not automatic like on some Sony Wega.

The line doubler seems good to me; it's the first time I have a TV with such a device. I didn't see anything weird on fast moving scene. It is not stated the the line doubler do the 3:2 pulldown, but again I haven't notice anything special. Maybe on 32" tv, it is harder to notice flaws from the line doubler or it just do a good job.

Only flaws I discovered so far is a very faint bue shit on the upper rigth corner when a 100% white field is displayed. This blue shit is about 2" in size. Totaly invisible on regular material. Also, when displaying the anamorphic test pattern from Video Essential, I see a very little bow upward at the extreme rigth of the tube. I have not seen any brightness uniformity problem like often reported with Wega TVs.

One other thing, even after calibration, this TV lacks shadow details, but I highly suspect it comes from the Velocity Scan Modulation. I whish it could be disable in the menu like Sony's Wega. I guess I have to go in the service menu to turn it off.

Anybody knows how to access the service menu of Samsung's TV? Or where can I find this information?

Does anybody have experience with these TV that can be shared? Like seting or way to imporve it.

Thanks

Thanks Matt. I have been able to access the service menu to disable the scan velocity modulation; it did improve the shadow detail. For those interested, to access the service menu on the TSL3293 and maybe the other Samsang TV in that serie, while the TV is off, press in a quick succession "mute-1-8-2-power on". Look for VML and bring the value down to 0.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks