Samsung HDTV (#TXM2796) for $629.99 - should I buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Schmitz, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Mike Schmitz

Mike Schmitz Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking at the Samsung (#TXM2796) HDTV for $629.99. This seems like a good entry point monitor, price-wise, for HDTV. However, one store I went to said they don't carry Samsung at all because of the high rate of repair/returns. Should I get this monitor?

I was also thinking of getting a Denon AVR1603 receiver for $399.99. I haven't made up my mind about speakers or a Progressive Scan DVD player, though. Any suggestions?

2. Joe Thompson

Joe Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    I would spend the few extra bucks on a Denon 1803... I bought one from EBAY for 355 delivered, but you could find it elsewhere too for less that 400 I believe. I had a Denon 2800 before this & have not noticed a difference in power or sound quality. The 1803 has a great feature....it is a 6 x 80 watt amp. You can use the 6th channel for a second room if you dont want to use it as a rear center channel in a 6.1 setup....

Joe

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Mike, I have the 30”, 16:9 version of this set, which you can find for under $1,000. So far no problems and while the picture quality might not be quite up to Panasonic/Toshiba/Sony standards, it is very good indeed. Don’t forget that in order to really get HD, you will need to pony up another $500–$800 for a STB.

But the picture is very fine even without going HD.

4. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

I love my 2795!

5. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

I have had Samsung TVs my entire life (since I was 15-I am 22 now). I have never had a problem with them and I love the picture quality. I just got a 17 inch wall mounted Samsung LCD for my girl for Christmas to hang over the bathtub and she loves it.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I have not heard any comments to the effect that Samsung has a higher rate of repair returns than any of the other Japanese manufacturers. So, at that price, it's a great port of entry to eventual HD bliss. Go for it.

7. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Mike,
    I suggest you check the set at a store first. I currently have one and checked 2 other display models in the store I went to. Each of the sets show a strange pattern on the left and right sides of the screen (vertical strips) a few inches in like you are watching the picture through a grate. It seems like the shadow mask is more visible on the sides of the tube and becomes even more visible when you use vertical compression. I am debating whether I will keep mine but you should watch for this first. Good luck.