Samsung hdtv problem diagnoses

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John Branson, Dec 18, 2003.

1. John Branson

John Branson Auditioning

At the URL below (my first post so add www to the beginning as the forum software won't let me post a URL) shows a screen shot of a problem I'm having with my Samsung HDTV.

jrbranson.com/SamsungFlaw-2.jpg

The set is a Samsung 30" HDTV Model number TXN3071WHF. Note the blue arc on the left side of the screen. Sorry about the image quality but it only shows up on dark screens and the digital camera didn't like it.

The set is hooked up to a Scientific Atlanta HDTV cable converter set to 1080i. I checked the TV service menu and 1080i is enabled. The intensity of the arc increases as the set warms up, the photo shows it at the worst. It does not show up in 480p mode. The intensity varies depending on the brightness of the screen and the colors displayed.

House is wired with RG-6Q cable and high quality connectors and wall outlets. I've tried several different component cables with no change. The flaw does vary slightly with movement of the set top box.

I've only had the TV about a week. I'm wondering if this is something I can correct via the service menu, or if it's possibly the set top box. I have no clue.
    Thanks for your time.
    John Branson

2. John S

John S Producer

That is an odd artifact. Does it do it, if you set the box to below 1080i?

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

John: I can't see the picture. You've got to stick a img (in brackets, not parentheses) in front of AND a /img (also in brackets, not parentheses) behind the link to your picture. Or, in edit mode, just click the img button and paste the link into the window.

BTW, Welcome to the HTF!! [​IMG]

4. John S

John S Producer

I just typed his given URL in and added the www, worked for me....

It is an odd thing, I would love to read what others think about it.

I think, it is going to require a TV replacement, and/or service of some kind. It is dang odd.

5. John Branson

John Branson Auditioning

I'm hoping it doesn't require replacement...what a pain. I guess at this point I could still return it to Sears and just ask for a replacement or refund. I still have the box and the warranty card.
    My first attempt would be returning the cable box for a new unit. I wanted to get feedback from this group before I did anything drastic.

To answer the first post. No the artifact is not visible at anything resolution below 1080i. I've played with various settings in the service menu to shift the screen around with no effect also.

Sorry about the image but I had to sneak it in this way as since I'm a new member I'm not allowed to post URLs. Using the IMG button on the editor will insert the text but when I try to post it, it gets rejected cause of my newbie status.
    Thanks
    John Branson

6. John S

John S Producer

Dean, from what I understand, it only happens on 1080i HDTV sources. That would rule out any such defect would it not?

7. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Have you recently made any changes via the service menu?

8. John Branson

John Branson Auditioning

The artifact showed up during the first use of the TV. I have tried changing various settings on the service menu, but always returned them to their original settings when they had no effect.

I'm leaning towards some defect in the CRT or electronics. The first thing I think I will try is replacing the cable converter since that is free and it only weighs a couple of pounds [​IMG]. Although since the artifact shows up after the TV set warms up I doubt the cable box is the problem.

I've looked closely and can not find the artifact in either 480i, 480p, 480i wide, or 480p wide.

I have serious reservations about returning it for repair as I've heard many horror stories about waiting months and months for it to be returned.
    John Branson

Flaw can be seen at

jrbranson.com/SamsungFlaw-2.jpg

Just add www to the beginning

9. John Branson

John Branson Auditioning

Ok, This is going to be hard to believe, but this persistant problem appears to have been solved by.....
    cleaning the television with Pledge furniture polish. I noticed that the TV was developing a lot of static charge. Where the set is located there is a lot of metal funiture, banisters, heating duct work below the floor etc. I noticed that the artifact would alter considerably when I touched various connectors or cables very lightly.
    Apparently there was some interference being caused by the static charge on the TV set interacting with all the surround metal....or something. I wiped down the whole set (which I had not done since it was purchased a week ago) with the Pledge and the more I wiped, the smaller the artifact got..until it disappeared and after several hours of operation it has yet to reappear in the least.
    Strange.
    JohnnyB