1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung HD931 vs Denon 910

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tom Martin, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Tom Martin

Tom Martin Stunt Coordinator

I'm planning on picking up one of these soon, but which? I had the HD931 before but there was some strange copyright problem that kept making the picture fade to green and back again. I never had a Denon.

Ok, the Samsung has the DVI connection in the back, Denon doesn't. Both have the DCDi technology. The debate still goes on about whether there really is much of a difference between 480p and 720p and 1080i. The Denon only has 480p, the Samsung supports all 3. I happen to think that Denon is a more trusted name in A/V technology than Samsung.

I have the Samsung HCN5527W HDTV.

What do you all think?

2. Rick Hodgson

Rick Hodgson Extra

I am exchanging my 931 tomorrow (SUN) for the Denon 910. I have a SONY 50WE610 LCD and I havn't been overly impressed with the samsung. I have it hooked with DVI.

I will post my feelings on the 910 for you tomorrow if you would like.

3. Tom Martin

yes, thanks!

4. Rick Hodgson

Rick Hodgson Extra

Well tom I returned the 931 and actually picked up the Mitsubishi 8040, it was $70.00 cheaper than the Denon 910 and has DVD-A.

I hooked the 8040 up with Monster THX Componant cables. A few things I've noticed:

-the 8040 has a more vivid picture. The 931 seemed dark even though i had my display set fairly bright. I watched The Two Towers and Fight Club on both players. While they were not side by side comparisons Fight Club was MUCH more vivid on the 8040. There wasn't as noticable a difference with The Two Towers.

-the 8040 ejects in a second, the 931 took 5 seconds.
    (not a big deal I suppose)

Overall, I'm glad I switched. I really never could see much of a difference when switching between 480 & 720/1080 on the 931.

Anyways i hope this helps. I think the 910 should perform similarly to the 8040. I'm glad I tried the 931, but the 8040 has an overall better picture and was $70.00 cheaper.

Rick

5. Tom Martin

i ended up buying thr 910 today. i haven't hooked it up yet, but as we are supposed to be getting a snowstorm in south new jersey tonight, i'll have all day tomorrow to play with it!

6. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

I can attest to the smooth performance of the Denon 910. It's a very solid option for $300. In fact, I think it's the best available DVD player at the price right now. I'm talking about picture quality only. I know therer are universal players like the Pioneer 563a that play SACD and DVD-audio but in terms of pure video performance the Denon 910 is the best option at $300.

Tiger

7. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Rick,
    Where did you get the Mitsubishi ? The only place I have found who carries them is Tweeter.

8. Danny Beck

Do a search on the Mitsubishi and you'll find it does have some video problems that are not present on the Denon models. I don't recall the exact problem but I believe it has something to do with CS=on when it is set to off on the Denons.

Tiger

9. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Contrary to what other people have said, I am certain the Mits does not have CCS on. How do I know this? I have both the Denon 910 and the Mits DD8040 at home. Neither show symptoms of CCS=on (and trust me, I know what it looks like, having owned a Panny RP56).

10. Danny Beck

So what are the difference then between the Denon 1200 and that Mitsubishi 8040?

Dan

11. Kwang Suh

4:3 aspect ratio control, better zoom ratios, cheaper build quality and no Denon logo on front.

12. Danny Beck

So you're saying the Denon has a better build quality than the Mitsubishi?

Tiger

13. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I tested a Mitsubishi DD-8040 and it definitely had CSS=on. I could see flicker at the top and bottom of saturated color areas. Just look at a color test pattern from the AVIA DVD and check for it in progressive mode compared to interlaced mode. I don't know if the Denon's have it too. But I got a used Panasonic XP30 and it has CSS=off and doesn't have the color flicker. You may not notice it with most video, but you will on menus and so on.

14. Kwang Suh

This is not CCS. CCS affects whole color areas.

15. Kwang Suh

Yes. Mind you, the cheaper Denons are still quite flimsy in comparision to their better players.

16. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I have read about the CSS=on symptoms on the Secrets reviews and they definitely say it causes the color flicker on color bars that I saw, so if the Denon does it too then they also have CSS=on.

17. Rick Hodgson

Rick Hodgson Extra

Mark, I got my 8040 @ Ultimate Electronics. I paid $230.00 I believe it retails for $250.00. Check their site @ ultimateelectronics.com.

I have no idea about the cs=on problem. I havn't had a chance to view many dvd's yet but so far I'm very pleased and have seen nothing display wise that would make me unhappy.

18. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Thanks Rick for the response. I called Tweeter when I got home from work to confirm that they had the DD-8040 in stock and they did for $249. I braved the sub zero temps and ran up there. All they had in stock was an open box for $215. I inspected the box and you'd never know it was returned. The manual and remote wasn't removed from the plastic yet. I snapped it up. I'll give it a spin tommorow.

19. Kwang Suh

The Denon 910 does not have CCS on. http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...deInt=0&mpeg=0

It seems that you actually haven't seen a player that has CCS on. It's not a pretty sight, and it's a lot more evident that flickering on the top and bottom of color areas.

20. JamesGL

JamesGL Stunt Coordinator

BTW, a Denon 910 can be had for around $250 shipped. Check shopping.com