Samsung HD931 DVD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Andy Stocker, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Andy Stocker

Andy Stocker Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased the new Samsung HD931 DVD player online and it should be arriving Wednesday with my new Panasonic 47" that I got at Best Buy yesterday. At $1400 I couldn't pass it up, it sounds like it is becoming very popular...I'm going to hook up my dvd player via DVI cable because it has an output for it, that way I can save my HD componet outs...I'm excited!! My first HD experience

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03013

2. KevinFord

KevinFord Stunt Coordinator

Andy,

Can you share your experience with the Sammy player? I just bought one from Best Buy as well. It's in the trunk of my car and I'm considering working the rest of the day from home. [​IMG]

I'd like to know how it looks on your display, relative to the player you were using before.

Also, what kind of DVI cable did you buy?

Kevin

3. Andy Stocker

I'm afraid you will have to tell me first, mine is still on its way UPS. I bought a Monster 2meter DVI cable ($100). Let me ask you, what screen are you gonna use it on? I have a Panasonic 47wx53 I just got it today. I'm trying to decide what DVD to try first! What are you gonna try? I thought I heard something about "Simone" (Al Pacino) being shot in High Def, maybe I'll try that. I guess any of the newer Star Wars should show it off pretty well.

Let me know tonight!! I work 3rds, send me a note if you get a chance.

Thanks,

Andy Stocker

4. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I have mine hooked up(via DVI) to my Panasonic PT-50LC13 & the picture is to die for! Im upconverting it to 720p becasue that is the natural rez of my Panny. The remote does suck, though & the player is short on options for a $300 player, but the picture it makes on a digital display makes up for its shortcomings.

5. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Stunt Coordinator

I have my 931 hooked up to a Sony KP57WV700 57 inch RPTV and the picture quality is just magnificent on newer movies. Very much worth the money.

6. John G

John G Agent

arrgh! im in the market for a new dvd player as well, and of course the mitsu that i just purchased doesn't have a DVI input, which if i understand correctly is needed to recieve the upconverted signal. Hmmm. I've got a bunch of firewire inputs however.

*goes searching for a DVI to Firewire Converter*

7. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

You're not going to find any type of converter. The point of a DVI-D signal w/ HDCP is so that it can't be converted and can't be copied/recorded. That's why the upconverted signal is only carried over DVI, so you can't make 1080i or 720p recordings of DVDs (or anything else carried over DVI). It has alot to do w/ the MPAA's influence on the consumer electronics industry and suprisingly little to do with what makes sense for consumers [​IMG]

8. KevinFord

OK. First impressions. Here I go...

I'm using the 931 on a new Panny 53TW53. This set doesn't support 720p, unfortunately, so I am limited to using 1080i or 480p. I've only watched one DVD so far as I just hooked the thing up. I put in Romeo Must Die and it looks pretty good. I need more time to make objective judgements about how much of an improvement it is. I am also short a component video cable so I can't try it with component output for comparison sake. The only other DVD source I have is interlaced and it is my XBox, but for an interlaced source, the XBox is quite good IMHO.

Anyway, I'm sorry I can't offer much as of yet. I will say that some scenes in Romeo Must Die were very crisp and others looked similar to what I would expect from my XBox. I didn't really notice anything wrong with the interlaced image. I was expecting to see problems with the fast action scenes, but I didn't.

I wish I could change the DVI output modes from the remote. It would be easier to compare PQ at different HD modes if I didn't have to get up and down every time. I'll be watching The Two Towers on Monday and maybe that will give me more impressions to share.

btw: The remote does suck and the range (or angle forgiveness) is not great.

Also: That cool ice-blue ring around the jog dial is VERY annoying when actually watching a movie. I haven't played with the dimming features but why don't components have an option to turn off the lights on the panels. My DVD player is a couple of feet off to the side of the TV and that blue light draws the eyes right over to it. I will not have to put a black curtain over my component rack. It's not just the problem with the Sammy player. My Sony receiver has a similar distracting phosphorescent blue light on it.

also: Another thing that I remembered while watching the flick. I didn't like DMX as a rapper and he's MUCH worse as an actor.

I just popped Animatrix in and am expecting to be very impressed with the PQ. I'll report later.

9. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I don't know if it's a crazy coincidence, but my Bravo D1 (the other DVI player on the market now) also has the ice blue jog dial ring, and it's a lil annoying to me too, not so much because of the light, but because it's blue and kinda clashes w/ the orange display of my 43TX receiver. I'm pretty sure it's a complete coincidence though because the Samsung is based on the Faroujda deinterlacer and the Bravo is built around the Sigma Design's EM8500 chip.

Otherwise, i still have my D1 hooked up via component until my DVI cable arrives sometime this week. Via component the image looks a little softer than my RP91 did, which was similar to other's experience. I've also noticed combing when using the component output, but this should go away when I get DVI going (as stated in the Secrets article).

10. Andy Stocker

Hey Kevin, thanks for the review! You have an Xbox and a non-720p"upvertable" Panny too, does that bother you? I was kind of upset when I tried to play a couple of 720p games (Nba2k3 and Soul Calibur 2) and the screen went blank. Now, I'm wondering, do most HD cable receivers upconvert 720p to 1080i before it gets to the TV? The reason I ask is because I read somewhere were ABC only shows a 720p signal. But, I am VERY pleased with my Panny so far and I just HOPE AND PRAY that I don't experience the "evil pop".

Thanks,

Andy

11. Andy Stocker

I hooked mine up tonight finally and watched 8 mile...i agree it sucks that you have change dvi modes from dvd player and not from remote. Boy, I'm going to have to get pointers from people on what to look for because both the 480i and 1080i modes seem very similar, maybe I need to try more dvd's. I would expect 480p to be similar to 1080i but I was kind of suprised that I couldn't tell a big difference between 480i and 1080i...but this is my first HDTV as I am used to watching dvd''s on my xbox on my toshiba 32" analog, so everything looks better to me. What are some things that you pros look for when you comparing pictures? I did make sure that I hooked up it right and I know I did because it would have been blank in 1080i mode if I didn't.

Andy

12. KevinFord

Like Andy, I couldn't really detect a difference. I asked my girlfriend, because she wouldn't know which format I was using, kind of a blind taste test. I asked her to take a really good look at a crisp scene in Gladiator (when I was secretly in 480p mode). Then I cycled through to exactly the same mode and she said, "Ahh that one looks a little better." (So her credibility was already in question). I then went secretly to 1080i mode as my TV doesn't support 720p. She said there was no difference. I couldn't distinguish a difference either. I think I may have to borrow a pro-scan player from somebody to compare. To be honest, I don't notice it being any better than my interlaced XBox DVD player. BUT, it's only been two days. I will try to get some better test equipment and try more because it's obviously not worth $400 (when you add the $100 DVI cable) to me if I have to work this hard to actually figure out if it's better.

In another thread on this same player, people were talking as if it were night and day difference. I'm really curious if those are real accounts, because I just don't see it at all.

*** NEWS FLASH ***
    My doorbell just rang and when I got there, my copy of Digital Video Essentials had just arrived. How better to test the player than to compare test patterns from different DVD players. I will not turn this thread into a DVE thread though.
    *** NEWS FLASH ***

Ok, I sent a note to Joe Kane (the producer of DVE) to ask him how I should be connecting this player to my TV while running the DVE test disc. I also wanted to as his opinion on the HD931, figuring he is a true expert. I'll report back if I hear anything.

Kevin

13. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

14. Anthony F.

Anthony F. Stunt Coordinator

I have a Bravo D1 hooked up to Panny projector (L300u) and in the first few viewings I had a hard time telling a difference, too. However after spending some time with the D1 and then switch back to the "old" player (Sharp player with DCDi) it became clear (no pun intended) that the resolution and fine detail were much better over DVI even if the sharpness changed less. In particular scenes with a wide landscape or background were much more in focus, making dvd via component seem somewhat blurry by comparison. I'd say try the DVI player for a while then switch back for comparison. The difference in overall watchability will be more than subtle.

Also, good test discs are any of the Blue Planet dvds (from the Discovery channel specials). They switch back and forth from film to video, closeups to wide angle scenes. One the video closeups, the footage is pretty darn close to the "eye candy" you see on HD demo loops. On the wide angle film scenes, DVI brings out a lot more background detail. I would expect the 931 to perform similar to the D1 in this respect. Good luck.

15. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

16. Andy Stocker

What about Lucas's filming Star Wars all digitally, wouldn't newer made films like that broaden the gap between DVI and componet video quality? Or is any new DVD out now capable of being shown in 1080i form? I read somewhere (I probably already mentioned this) that the movie Simone was filmed with high definition equipment, now I'm not sure which movies are or are not filmed that way now, but my thinking would be that only DVD's that were made with that high of quality would I be able to see any difference. I've read a LOT of posts where people keep stressing that no matter how good your screen or dvd player is you will not make the image any better than what was put on the DVD to begin with. I wish there was some sort of database that shows which movies were shot digitally and which were not. I might be totally off base by coming up with this, but I've been doing a lot of research on this on HTF lately. I wouldn't expect to pop in "Its a Wonderful Life" and expect to tell a difference between 480i and 1080i, or for that matter VHS to 1080i...

17. John_F

John_F Stunt Coordinator

I don't know how "good" the current transfer is of "Its a Wonderful Life" is on DVD, but if it is "good" transfer, I would say it may look better at 1080i/720p.

Regards,
    John Flegert

18. Anthony F.

Anthony F. Stunt Coordinator

Attack of the Clones was amazingly clear via DVI. No noise whatsoever. On my PJ (which is in the 1/4 HD resolution) the difference between 480 and 720 (for 768 in this case) isn't as big a difference as the difference between component and DVI. I agree you're just picking the better scaler not upping the resolution.

19. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The scene that made me take notice was in Monster's Inc. where Sully is snoring and his hair is moving. The finer detail of the hairs in 1080 is a noticeable improvement over 480p.

20. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

I just got this DVD player for my Samsung DLP, which does support 720p. For me, the difference was pretty damn noticable. 480p looked good. 720p is stupendous. 1080i is just a hair less than 720p. I dunno, maybe it's cause I have a Samsung DLP, but the difference between 480p and 720p is day and night. My wife (who is somewhat HT savvy), my parents, and my two pals all said the exact same thing when I switched from 480p to 720p: "Wow"