Samsung HD 931

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ed*Wheaton, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Ed*Wheaton

Ed*Wheaton Agent

I was looking in the local paper and saw an ad for this particular DVD player.It is the Samsung HD931.It's supposed to give a hi def. picture at 1080.Id this a scam or are we all looking at again replacing out progressive scan DVD players and going to yet another format?Another question would be are DVD's even recorded at that high of a resolution?
    If anyone has any insight on this product please let me know.

Ed Wheaton

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Boy, I see this pop up a lot, and I have the same kind of questions. Very mixed reviews here on the HTF. I would be connecting via the DVI out to my Sony, and I'm really unsure of the pros / cons of this unit, as some seem to play it as though if you connect via DVI it's a great player, it's the component outs that are not so hot, others seem to make it out that it, in general, is not so hot..

*shrug* I definitely have a lot of interest in it, just can't find the info!

3. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

There's been a lot of discussion about this player over at www.avsforum.com
    Definitely mixed reviews. There's talk of a new (and better) model coming from Samsung in the not too distant future.

4. Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick Second Unit

I just got the LG7832. It is a step up from my RP82, with latest firmware btw, on my ISF calibrated Toshiba 40H80. I am using the component outputs and the picture is more detailed. The diffence is not night and day but it's there. Here is a review. http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/exper...32_review.html

5. Artis Hall

Artis Hall Extra

I am returning the HD-931 tomorrow after watching films all last week and this weekend. The black crush clearly shown by the THX video test on Episode 2 and Finding Nemo translated into poor dark scene performance for me. The obscenely grainy rendering of my favorite films and horrible dark scene performance was just too much. The DVI input did remove ALL of the motion artifacts I normally see though on my DLP tv so that was a good thing. Still can't keep it or recommend it at this point.

6. Gil Jawetz

Gil Jawetz Stunt Coordinator

The mixed review on the Sammy are turning me off.

Elliott, Am I to understand that the component 1080i on the LG machine is preferable to DVI? That sounds interesting. Where did you get yours?

7. Gil Jawetz

Gil Jawetz Stunt Coordinator

Oh yeah, the LG machine is in Canada only, right? Where can I get it in the US?

8. Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick Second Unit

Based on the firmware the reviewer had at the time, component was no different from the Bravo and the best in terms of DVI vs. component on the LG. There is suppose to be a firmware upgrade that fixes the DVI problems of the LG. My player is suppose to have it but I do not have a DVI connection to test it with.

I got mine in Toronto at Brentview Electronics. There is a Zenith equivalent for the US and according to some posts at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=328403 it is due out any day now.