What's new

Samsung HD 931 (1 Viewer)

Ed*Wheaton

Agent
I was looking in the local paper and saw an ad for this particular DVD player.It is the Samsung HD931.It's supposed to give a hi def. picture at 1080.Id this a scam or are we all looking at again replacing out progressive scan DVD players and going to yet another format?Another question would be are DVD's even recorded at that high of a resolution?
If anyone has any insight on this product please let me know.

Ed Wheaton

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Boy, I see this pop up a lot, and I have the same kind of questions. Very mixed reviews here on the HTF. I would be connecting via the DVI out to my Sony, and I'm really unsure of the pros / cons of this unit, as some seem to play it as though if you connect via DVI it's a great player, it's the component outs that are not so hot, others seem to make it out that it, in general, is not so hot..

*shrug* I definitely have a lot of interest in it, just can't find the info!

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
There's been a lot of discussion about this player over at www.avsforum.com
Definitely mixed reviews. There's talk of a new (and better) model coming from Samsung in the not too distant future.

Artis Hall

Grip
I am returning the HD-931 tomorrow after watching films all last week and this weekend. The black crush clearly shown by the THX video test on Episode 2 and Finding Nemo translated into poor dark scene performance for me. The obscenely grainy rendering of my favorite films and horrible dark scene performance was just too much. The DVI input did remove ALL of the motion artifacts I normally see though on my DLP tv so that was a good thing. Still can't keep it or recommend it at this point.

Gil Jawetz

Stunt Coordinator
The mixed review on the Sammy are turning me off.

Elliott, Am I to understand that the component 1080i on the LG machine is preferable to DVI? That sounds interesting. Where did you get yours?

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Based on the firmware the reviewer had at the time, component was no different from the Bravo and the best in terms of DVI vs. component on the LG. There is suppose to be a firmware upgrade that fixes the DVI problems of the LG. My player is suppose to have it but I do not have a DVI connection to test it with.

I got mine in Toronto at Brentview Electronics. There is a Zenith equivalent for the US and according to some posts at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=328403 it is due out any day now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks