Samsung HD-931 and 1080i

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Adam J, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Adam J

Adam J Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,

There has been talk of this DVD player not making a big impact on RPTVs, especially those that upconvert 480p to 540p. I know this DVD player also supports an output of 720p and 1080i. Granted none of the lower cost RPTVs support 720p, but I thought they did support 1080i? Will they take the 1080i output from this player and display it natively, or do they first do some conversion on it? It seems to me that this setting should be an improvement for all RPTVs that can accept and display 1080i, or is the problem that none of them actually display that signal, just like they don't natively display 720p.

Thanks for all replies.

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I have what would be considered a "lower cost" RPTV (Toshiba 42HDX82) and tried both the 931 and the Bravo D1. In both cases there was an improvement in picture quality with 1080i output, my preference being for the Bravo. The Samsung also had some strange aspect ratio issue that I couldn't remedy.

Toshiba's do accept 720p, but not natively, and you will see a drop in quality. 1080i, however, is native and it looks great! There are some who will criticize the notion of image upconversion with players like the Samsung or Bravo, but I encourage you to at least give it a try before you make any judgments. I actually had an exchange with someone who had not seen the picture quality and admitted he just had a problem with the idea of conversion. Umm...critical thinking skills anyone?

Until HD DVD comes out I will not go back or settle for 480p output! Toshiba will be releasing an upconverting player in March or April and Bravo will have its D2 around the same time.

3. Adam J

Adam J Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info Cameron,
    Actually my friend has a Sony LCD and the Samsung 931 and the differece is spectacular. I know a lot of that has to do with it being an all digital setup, and had read in some other posts of people not seeing the same difference when hooking this player up to RPTVs due to the analog conversion combined with upconversion.
    Thanks a lot for your reply