Samsung HCM4216W any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KennyT, Feb 16, 2003.

1. KennyT

KennyT Auditioning

Hello all!! I'm new to the forums and home theater and wanted some opinions on this RPTV. I have the opportunity to purchase a Samsung HCM4216W from the Sears outlet for $850. It was built in July 2002 so I guess they want to clear it out. I checked the set out and everything seems to work OK and the picture looks fine next to the Mitsubishi's and Sony's they have running. They only have a crappy cable signal going in so it's hard to do a good comparison. Is this a decent set for the price? I did a search and found that some people have had problems with their earlier Samsung's. Should I purchase the extended warranty for about $300 for 5 years?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Not familiar with the set, but if it's not HD-capable (and at that price I doubt it is) I wouldn't buy it. Beyond a certain price point (mid-hundreds) it makes no sense buying into a technology that's being phased out.

3. KennyT

KennyT Auditioning

Thanks for the response. It is HD capable, new the set runs about $1400-$1500. I can't believe they're selling it for such a discount and it comes with a full warranty.

4. Jack Briggs

If it's not an open-box unit, then, you've landed on a terrific deal. Go for it, Kenny.

5. KennyT

KennyT Auditioning

It is an open box unit. It's listed as damaged but the only damage I can find on the unit is a small scratch on the corner of the cabinet that's barely noticable. I'll have the full 1-yr. warranty if I buy it. Should I be safe and get the extended warranty for about $300 for 5 yrs.?

6. Jack Briggs

Damaged?

Was the set used as a showroom demo model? If so, I'd avoid it. Has the seller stated the extent of the damage (and how it occurred)?