What's new

Samsung HCL5515 (1 Viewer)

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
i saw the Samsung HCL5515 in a Costco today for $1899. Is this a good deal? The picture didn't look half bad out of the box, but seemed to be a good price for a 55 inch 16:9 screen. Anyone know about this model?

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
This is what I am trying to determine as well regarding the PCL5415, which I saw at Sears and had really a great picture. It seemed to be just as good as the 50" Toshiba next to it.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Fry's is advertising a 55" 16:9 RPTV by a "major manufacturer starting with S" for under $1600!! I'm pretty sure this is the Samsung. Our Houston Fry's is over an hour's drive away for me but I'm VERY tempted to make the trek. That sounds like a SCREAMING deal.
Update: OK, they got me. The advertised set was a Sharp. Damn! If it had been the Samsung I would have bought it. Oh well... :frowning:

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
I would consider the samsung tvs to be pretty good sets. I think that their line doubler is not quite as good as the Toshiba, but I like some of the options they give you as far as strethcing 4:3 material. The motorized door on the unit worried me a little at first, but after a year of use (and abuse) it seems to have held up very well. So while I would still prefer the 57H(X)81 to this set, I can not honestly say that I think it is $1200 better. You could have it ISF calibrated and still save money. Jason

George Balzer

Auditioning
:) Sorry to bump this topic to the top, but I plan on purchasing the same 55" model (Samsung HCL5515W) within the next week. I thought the picture looked amazing... Does anyone out there have this set? Any input as to Samsung's quality? This set looks to be the best "bang for the buck" I have come across. The motorized control panel seemed to be a unique feature! I think I may buy this set for my HT setup. Any precautions? Would appreciate any input.

George Balzer

Auditioning
Okay, I broke down and bought the Samsung. This was my first choice. I fell in love with the picture and features. Unlike some of the other 50"-65" sets I looked at, it has a black picture surround instead of the silver. Now mind you, silver is my favorite colour, but come on, do we need any more distractions when the lights are off and we want that cinema feel?

Overall, I am very pleased with this RPTV.

One problem... It won't fit down my basement stairs... arghhh!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks