Samsung DVD Recorder $248.88 Any Good?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bill Will, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

BrandsMart in Flordia has the Samsung model DVDR4000 on sale now for $248.88 Any info you can give me on it would be great & do you think it's worth the price? Thanks

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Wow, awesome price. I haven't used it myself though.

Brochure for DVD-R4000 from Samsung

FEATURES:

DVD-RAM & DVD-R Recorder
    Simultaneous Recording & Playback
    Live Picture Pause and Replay
    4.7 GB High-Capacity
    MPEG-2 VBR Recording
    Digital Noise Reduction

One-Touch Recording
    Timer Recording
    480P Progressive Scan Video Output

That's about $100 less than pretty much everywhere else.

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Gabriel, That's what I thought too. Best Buy has it for $404.99 so I wonder if they would match the price plus give you 10% of the difference off [​IMG] What do you guys think of this recorder taking the price into effect.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Nothing on this recorder guys?

5. Pete K

Pete K Agent

No, I know some of the mags have mentioned the Samsung.

I've picked up a Philips DVDR80 for around 400 from OneCall. So far it is very nice. Some issue with the built in EPG--guide plus--the channel lineups don't match and when I manually edit the channels it lasts for a day then the next day its back to the wrong info.

The Philips rep said the latest software upgrade would fix it and I should have the CD in 10 days.

Even without the guide plus info one can manually program it to record such as with a VCR.

Satisfied Philips customer. Very satisfied once the EPG retains the correct channel lineup.

I think that Samsung is a reputable, solid brand and you won't be disappointed.

6. Duncan Reno

Duncan Reno Agent

I recently purchased the Samsung DVD-R4000 and have been tranfering some laserdiscs to dvd. While they playback great on the Samsung the discs have a slight slow motion effect every few minutes when played back on my Daewoo S150 player (cheap player but it's region free and has played everything I've thrown at it). It also seems to stick slightly at the same spots when played on the Cyberhome CH-DVD 300/S and really stick when played on the Pioneer DVL-90 laser/dvd combo.

I know the Daewoo and Cyberhome are on the cheap end of the spectrum and The Pioneer is from a much earlier generation of dvd players but has anyone had the same or better results from their recordings?

7. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Duncan, I have a PIO DVL-700 combiplayer and it won't read any DVD-R's. THey play fine in all my other DVD players though.

8. Duncan Reno

Duncan Reno Agent

Thanks David. As info for anyone having laser/dvd combo players. When transfering LD's to DVD I noticed that the picture was significantly better with the V-DNR turned off on the laserdisc player. I was getting a lot of smearing and shading in all the dimly lit scenes of movies. Going into the Menu and turning that off immediately solved the problem.