Samsung DVD player - Any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianTIR, Dec 6, 2002.

1. BrianTIR

BrianTIR Extra

I decided to get my family into the DVD world this christmas. Primarily these DVD players will be used to watch movies on regular TVs in non-ht setups with maybe some light CD audio usage. I am looking for a hassle free player that will play about any movie without problems such as audio-sync, pixelation, skips, freezes. I know some DVDs will have problems regardless of the player but that some players have bugs/quality issues that others don't. I want something that won't break down right away either.

I settled on the Samsung DVD-s221 for $89.99, which I felt was a good price. Reading some so-so reviews for older Samsung models I am wondering if maybe I should of went with a different brand. They had a Toshiba sd-1800 and JVC xv-s300bk each for $99.99 but I don't know much about those players.

So for a basic player what do you guys recommend - Do I stick with the Samsung or what?

2. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

I have a Samsung DVD-611, a earlier model. Ive had it for 2.5 years without any problems at all. I have to say that Samsung has come a long way with their electronics. Because of this player, I am now considering getting a Samsung HD-ready TV set (The sub-$1000 units). I dont think you made a bad choice. It's simple to use and even my wife can use it without asking for help. If she can use it, your family should be able to use one as well.

3. BrianTIR

BrianTIR Extra

That's what I'm hoping for, easy to use and reliable. I want them to be able to go out and buy a movie and watch it without problem. Also hope it works good with rental discs.

-Brian

4. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Brian,
    Around 1/3 of my collection has been made with previously viewed movies from Blockbuster Video and I have never had a problem with any of their discs. If they do not play however, you can return them within 30 days for another one. Also I am very happy that Blockbuster has begun pricematching DVDs from chain stores. With it getting cheaper and cheaper to buy DVDs nowadays, I hardly ever rent anymore.