samsung dvd hd931

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Paul Defris, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Paul Defris

Paul Defris Auditioning

Hi, has anyone seen the difference this dvd player makes in their theater? will the DVI outputs and the up conversion to 720p make DVD's look like HDTV?

appreciate the input!

2. John S

John S Producer

No, 480p (EDTV) is really about the only real improvement. You just can't get more resolution than the source. DVD's are just not HDTV yet. Now the DVI may have significant impact for the better, but that will be because of the higher level connection, not from any sort of upscalling going on. IMO anyways.

3. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Not true. The upscaling does make a difference and a noticable one at that. But it won't look like HDTV.

4. John S

John S Producer

Yes, I had just read that in another thread.
    Interesting, for sure. I guess it can somewhat depend on the HDTV perhaps too? Like perhaps what they call a native resolution?

Shane Morales:
    I know this is an impossible request, but what improvement is there over the best 480p in your opinion, in your experience? Or maybe even perhaps with your DVD player and TV? Do you only get upscalling out the DVI connector, or will it also upscale out the component video?

5. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

I believe the upscaling only works on the DVI output, but I could be wrong.

What improvement is there? Well, it just looks better. Clearer, sharper, gradients are smoother. Not HDTV levels, but better than 480p. The downside is that there is often a sense of a smaller than pixel noise covering the screen, all the time. I've been struggling with this for a while. Sometimes I notice it and it bugs me, sometimes I don't see it, sometimes it's just sort of there, but not really noticeable. I think that might be more of a function of the DLP tv and/or a combo of the player and tv.

On my Samsung DLP it looks best on 720p. On a pal's toshiba RPTV there was a VAST improvement from 480p to 1080i (but he just got the TV serviced so maybe now the improvement won't be as good).

6. John S

John S Producer

Thanks for your further input on it.

I could have gotten DVI, but elected to not get a set that offered it. May end up being my only regret, not that I am quite happy in with my DVD performance right now, but just knowing it could be that much better drives me crazy. Which brings up my choice and interest in this thread to not have DVI input on my new HDTV.

But I did finally order a rather cheap DCDi player, it will be interesting to note the differences, from what I am using now. My TV is providing the Progressive Scan from my component video out cheapie 480i player with impressive results.

7. Paul Defris

Paul Defris Auditioning

Thanks for the input, as soon as my projector is installed I'll run an exparement to compare the two players and post my findings

8. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

Would the upscaling for a normal DVD on this player look similar to HBO hi def? I mean, most of the shows (if not all) are not in a native HD format, and don't look as good as Discovery HD for instance. So HBO must be doing some sort of scaling for their HD channel, right?

9. Paul Defris

Paul Defris Auditioning

Good question, acually I'm not sure what the native format is for this DVD I'm new to all this and I think I missed that. I'll check it out.

10. Paul Defris

Paul Defris Auditioning

I checked it out, I believe the Samsung DVD HDTV Progressive scan DTS has a native wide screen format with the ability to fit to a 4:3 format without the bars.

11. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

I have the HD931...although I am kind of confused as to what the real question is, I will say this:

This is the only player that will allow you to output what ever your native resolution on your display. (i.e, 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i)

Yes, DVI sources at 720p look great. Being that the DVD and DVI are both digital, you don't get that over/underscale look when you take 480i -to- 720p, then go from digital -to- analog(componet). Too much loss there.

So, pure digital(DVI) will always carry more of the original pic than analog(componet).