What's new

Samsung DVD-HD931 Progressive Scan DVD Player with DVI output for $234.94 shipped! (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
There is only one thing I don't like about our HD931 and that is the fact it insists on stretching 4:3 content to 16:9.
isn't that simply because you have the player set to 16:9? can't you go back and switch it to 4:3? not sure...but i think so...???

Chris Svensson

Auditioning
I bought this unit and was completely blown away by the image clarity on DVI (output on my Sammy 50" DLP). At the same time, it was plagued with various playback issues when outputting in 720p or 1080i depending upon the discs played.

Audio didn't sync properly with the video on movies like Pirates of the Carribean. Studdering/tearing video in movies like Matrix Reloaded and LOTR: Two Towers made me want to rip my hair out. Occasionally, it would just outright pause on a frame for a second or two. For the discs it played through flawlessly (of which there were few) it was amazing.

I simply couldn't take it any more. I returned it and have since "upgraded" to a Sony 777ES There are some marked differences in color handling between the two units and picture clarity (probably oweing at least in part to the difference between DVI and component connections). Even my wife noticed the difference between them.

In any event, I think that technology is going to be amazing in a few years after a few revisions, but it wasn't worth the frustration of ruining my entertainment experience.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
odd chris. i've had none of those issues while watching the same movies. maybe you got a bogus unit.

i am jealous of you having it hooked up to a dlp - talk about a rockin' pic!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks