What's new

Samsung DVD-HD931 DVD player with FLi 2300 chip (1 Viewer)

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator
Dalton and Marc,

That's currently the big holdup for HD-DVD (that, and the encoding/compression format, which will be determined in the next few months). Most of the studios are pushing DVI-CP, and have already approved it for HD-DVD. The conflict remains over unprotected RGB and component outputs. The person at Toshiba I talked to didn't think that we would see HD-DVD with full resolution output through component and RGB, but that is still a possibility. The DVD Forum will make a decision later this year.

Ravi Chopra

Auditioning
What a load of crap - changing standards out of paranoia and screwing the consumer.

How many of us took the early HDTV dive because we wanted the latest and greatest?

How many of us were assured by EVERYONE that buying a High Def screen today would not penalize us tomorrow because we'd be ready for upcoming media and standards.

I dumped a huge pile of cash into my Pioneer Elite screen and absolutely love it. My expectation was that I'd be able to enjoy this purchase with the coming advancements as they were released.

What do I hear now? Because I don't have some stupid new connector, I may be locked out of new advances. Is there something fundamentally wrong with component connection that doesn't allow it to carry the best possible signal my screen can display (which I could understand and accept)?

No.

It's because they're afraid someone might be able to use it to copy their material... something that the pirates will figure out how to do ANYHOW no matter how carefully they try to lock-down their material.

For the vast majority of consumers the copying to DVDs and other digital material is simply more trouble than it's worth. I'd rather spend my time enjoying my home theater system than dinking around with figuring out how to copy material that I can much more easily go out and rent or buy.

Unfortunately, it's that same majority of honest consumers like myself that are the victims of this total screw-job should this new standard come to pass.

My opinion of the pirates (for whom I don't now have much respect) may be changing.

Apologies for the rant. I'm staring down a very expensive HDTV that may soon be rendered obsolete, not by improved technology, but by paranoia and greed.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
So basically if you don't have a new hdtv with dvi inputs, this new Samsung dvd player that upconverts to 720p and 1080i is absolutely useless? Is that the right conclusion? And from the sound of it hd-dvd will also be useless? That is ridiculous. I am totally with the rest of you on this. I bought me hdtv nearly three years ago. A Sharp 64 LHP 4000. And I love it. I do plan on a tv upgrade in a year or two. But that doesn't help me now. Oh well, I guess I will buy the new Pioneer DV 45A and be happy with the 480p, dvd-audio and sacd.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
They probably figure most of us will be upgrading by the time HD-DVD is ready for prime time so they won't care about obsoleting component HD. And the average consumer hasn't taken the plunge into HDTV yet to worry them.
Maybe I should just go and return my TV to Best Buy while I still can! :angry:
OTOH, I still don't see HD-DVD being ready for prime time all that soon. By the time it's all ready and affordable, I'll probably be ready for a 50" 1080p(!) plasma display. And eventually, somebody will probably come up w/ a DVI/HDCP-to-component-HD convertor blackbox anyway, if there's really a market for it. Who knows? Maybe my TV will even die a couple years from now and be replaced w/ a new one via my 4-year EW...
_Man_

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Typical. Early adopters get penalized and Joe Six Pack inherits the earth.
First, the cable companies will start carrying HDTV that will be plug-and-play with FUTURE HDTV sets, meaning those of us who have true HDTV's with tuners will STILL need a cable box for HD content via cable, and now the future looks grim for our compatibility with HD-DVD unless there's some way our TV's can have their component cards ripped out and replaced with DV-I.
Sounds like something that might be worth campagning for, or would the card cost almost as much as the TV? Do I hear class-action suit? ;)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
We should start a campaign just like the one against evil Divx several years ago! :D
_Man_

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
With all of the audio upgrades i have done recently, there is no way i can get a new tv(don't really want to either) any time soon. I can't believe instead of getting rewarded as an early adopter, i get screwed instead(at least it looks like that is what will happen). All i can hope for is for my tv to die before my 5 yr extended warranty is up(and hopefully it is non-repairable)so i can get a new set. The thought of being left out in the cold as far as HD-DVD is concerned makes me sick. Just awful.:angry: :frowning:

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I was told June availability and $289 MSRP! I wonder if that was a mistake or whether the price had actually dropped during the show. (wouldn't be the first time!). Incidentally, Samsung wasn't the only manufacturer showing such an item, but I don't remember the others. I have to learn to take notes!

Oh yeah...I think one of them was Zenith who was showing a combined DVD and DTV receiver! The DVD output resolution was whatever you set the DTV output resolution to.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
I was told June availability and $289 MSRP!
So was I, Johnny. The rep I spoke to had it printed in a little book he was carrying. Since it appeared the book may have been printed before the press release, and not knowing what the price would end up, I thought I'd just post what their press release said.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
If we carn run coaxial cable from an antenna (rooftop or satellite dish) to the back of our HDTV and get HD, why can't they make HD-DVD players that pass the same signal to our TV's through coax? I guess it gives too much freedom from the TV or receiver's outputs. Damn copy-protection. Why don't they just accept resistance is futile? Bootlegging's been alive for years and the studios still haven't fallen.

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Well, I am fortunate (I suppose) as I am in the position of needing a new display in the next few months. I guess I will make DVI/HDCP input a necessity on my shopping list.

The possible DVI connection components are adding up; new DVD players that up-scale DVDs to HD, HD DirecTivo?, future HD DVD players?

I don't know if any displays are carrying 2-3 DVI/HDCP connections yet. Don't most that have it have just one?

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I'm staring down a very expensive HDTV that may soon be rendered obsolete, not by improved technology, but by paranoia and greed.
Ah, the joys of capitalism.
Technology and economics are almost never the same thing in many corporation. Thus, the technology followers (like us) get screwed, and the market followers (J6P) determine the course of action. The need for copy protection comes from the fear that "new" technologies like digital recording are going to eliminate the demand for products. The RIAA has been making this argument since MP3 became a household word. Of course, if anything, music sales have increased, which has rendered the lack of demand concern moot. That isn't stopping the RIAA from bitching, because any lost profit is anaethema to them.
In the case of Valenti's MPAA and the studios, they think that the DVI-CP technology is sufficiently advanced to maximize initial profits on high-definition technology. And they're probably right. Remember, companies aren't thinking about customers, but about profits. And as a small segment of customers, we have even less of a say. Yes, eventually there will be some sort of hack, but J6P will be afraid to mess with it, both because the very idea sounds too esoteric, and because the people who make and enforce the strict laws on copy protection are out of touch from most technology, let alone anything with the word digital in it. Not to sound like a bomb-throwing anarchist here ;), but this isn't bound to get better.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I don't know if any displays are carrying 2-3 DVI/HDCP connections yet.
I don't think I've seen any with more than one DVI input. I was told that there would be at least one and probably two new A/V receivers with HDMI switching introduced at CES, but I'm not aware that any were.

Regardless, there should be standalone DVI/HDMI switch boxes available at some point. It's not an 'illegal' item.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Regardless, there should be standalone DVI/HDMI switch boxes available at some point. It's not an 'illegal' item.
Are you sure? At this rate, the MPAA might argue that DVI switchboxes make it easier for pirates to do their dirty work. :angry:
_Man_

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
It's not the switchboxes so much as breakout cables that allow encrypted DVI-CP to be converted into regular unencrypted Y-Cb/Pb-Cr/Pr component that the MPAA's worried about. Although the majority of users would want it simply for compatibility for $1000+ TVs bought less than a year ago, the industry's response will most likely be that "technology changes, so buy more."

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Jesse,
I was actually just being sarcastic about the switchboxes, :) but who knows when it comes to the MPAA and Hollywood...
_Man_

Luke_Y

Second Unit
It's aggravating because even if you take precautions and buy a display with DVI/HDCP now you will likely only be able to find a set with ONE input. But we are looking at 2, possibly 3 new source units available in the next year with DVI/HDCP output. If the industry wants to go with DVI so bad why cant the display manufacturers FULLY support it with MULTIPLE inputs. Those who purchase DVI/HDCP displays now could find themselves with an outdated display limited by the number of inputs a year from now!

Any idea if the up-coming source boxes will have DVI/HDCP "passthroughs" or something allowing you to daisy-chain to one input?

Ryan N

Grip
Someone told me that there are DVI inputs and DVI/HDCP inputs. Is there a difference? I would assume that ALL DVI inputs would be compatible with DVI/HDCP.

StaceyS

Stunt Coordinator
Pioneer is putting two on their TVs.

I believe HDCP is a two-way thing. As long as the switchbox can handle this, it should work.

The current price of DVI switchboxes is a lot.

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator
Several DVI switchboxes already exist in the $400 range, and I believe they also work with DVI-CP (but I am not certain of that). And as more DVD players and HDTV receivers with DVI-CP become available, I expect we'll see more switch boxes too. DirecTV has already mandated that all of its future HDTV receivers feature DVI-CP (they can have component too, however).

By this time next year, I expect DVI-CP switching to be standard on all newly announced mid to upper-end hometheater receivers.

Users who are viewing this thread