Samsung DVD-HD931 DVD player with FLi 2300 chip

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeSRC, Jan 12, 2003.

1. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Here's the press release from CES:

2. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

I read somewhere that it will only offer that resolution on NON COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Sucks for us. I would like to see that puppy hacked. If so, I'm first in line!

3. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

4. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

It's my understanding that the scaled output will only be available through the DVI output, which takes care of the copy protection issues.

5. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

6. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

7. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

Well the word is that this will be out for July. I hope it does not dissapoint becuase I am getting "Upgrade Ittis". I hear it's catchy too.
    P.S. What is DVI output, and what will accept a DVI output?[​IMG]

8. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

The person I talked to at Samsung also said the 720p/1080i upconversion would be available only through the DVI-CP (DVI with HDCP) output. I'm fairly certain that they'd do output through progressive component if they could, but I don't see any way the industry would allow it. I believe the DVD Forum agreement would expressly prohibit this, in fact.
    Oswald,
    DVI-CP is the connection standard that Hollywood and the consumer electronics firms have settled on for protected transmission of high-definition content. All the "modern" HDTV televisions feature a DVI-CP output. You'll almost certainly need one to watch any future HD-DVD standard at full resolution. There was not a single display at CES this year, as far as I am aware, they did not incorporate DVI-CP.
    DVI standards for digital video interface; it is a pure digital connection that has been used on computer LCD displays for several years. DVI with HDCP (high-bandwidth digital content protection), or DVI-CP for short, adds encryption. You can read more about it here. For recent quotes from some studio representatives on the necessity of DVI-CP, see this news article. Sony Pictures, Fox, Universal, Warner Bros., and Disney are the main studios pushing the DVI-CP standard which is now being adopted by CE and cable companies. More articles are available via a Yahoo search on "DVI content protection."

9. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Can you hook up a DVI to component or VGA converter?
    Marc

10. Dan Clark

Dan Clark Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure why the upconverted output is restricted to DVI for this product. I could understand it if we were talking about true HD source material, but the source signal for this player is still plain old DVD. Any potential bootleggers already have a more direct route to DVD bits through deCSS, so what is gained by restricting the upconverted output on this player to DVI only?

11. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

Marc,

12. Michael St. Clair

Restricting this is ignorant. There is no consumer device available to record the 720p/1080i component output, and the only devices that can (W-VHS) perform additional compression cycles and result in the copy looking worse than the original.

But a 12-year-old with DeCSS can make a bit-perfect copy of the disc, and share it with the entire world if they want.

This restriction has no effect on piracy, but certainly screws over certain legacy TV owners (including certain older 4:3 HD sets that only squeeze 1080i).

13. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

Michael,

Well, it is the fully-digital displays that benefit most from this technology anyway. Even if your legacy CRT-based model did have DVI-CP inputs, the signal would still be converted to analog for display once it hit the set. And if this all-digital-upcoversion were provided through progressive component or RGB, most older sets still run the signal through processing for aspect ratio control and the like anyway.

In contrast, on digital DVI displays (DLP, D-ILA, LCD, etc), the signal from this DVD player will be 1:1 pixel-mapped to the display without any modification or interim processing of any kind. Thus the reason why it is necessary for the Samsung HD931 to provide aspect ratio control and scaling for DVDs.

Obviously the fact that DeCSS has been decrypted on the computer is irrelevant. Ok, so the encryption was broken. That doesn't mean CE vendors are automatically going to abandon all copy protection on mass-market consumer electronics products. Moreover, the all-digital de-interlace and upconvert results in a picture that is SUPERIOR to the bit-perfect 480i copy from disk.

14. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Anyone have the complete scaling/zooming info on THIS player?
    Can it do everything an RP-91 does?
    In other words, is it a good player for folks with 16:9 HDTV's that lock into "Full" or horizontal stretch when receiving Progresive scan signals?
    This player and the new Philips 963 SA seem to have similar innards, but this has the (possibly near useless) upconversion and is cheaper. It would seem a direct comparison is in order.
    Samsung's website even says the HD1000 only upcovnerts material that isn't copy-guarded. Can't find the info on the HD-931 there yet. Also, I'm not looking to buy ANOTHER HDTV with the new connection for a while. [​IMG]

15. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

Grant,

16. StaceyS

StaceyS Stunt Coordinator

17. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

For us digital projector owners, everything about this sounds great except the cost of a long, quality DVI cable.

Doug

18. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    So are all of us Analog 16:9(or 4:3) HD Ready tv owners screwed when it comes to HD DVD? I don't have a dvi connection so does that mean all i will ever get is 480p? If so that sucks because i just don't have the $$ to replace my 2 yr old 16:9.

Dalton

19. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

I am with you Dalton.
    Marc

20. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I'm with Dalton and Marc...
    Maybe in a couple years I could purchase a new 16x9 set...a year at the absolute minimum...okay...maybe this fall. [​IMG]
    Unles there are some good sales this summer...or spring...
    [​IMG]