Samsung DVD- HD841 good, bad, ugly?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt Baldwin, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Matt Baldwin

Matt Baldwin Auditioning

I recently purchased the Samsung HD841 DVD player, but after reading several reviews across the web I have started to doubt my purchase. Most reviews stated problems of bad picture with DVI output and sound cutting out during DTS soundtracks. If any of you happen to own this player can please let me know if you like the it?
    So far mine works fine, but I have only had it for 48hrs, and would like to get some oweners opinions.

Thanks,
    Matt Baldwin

2. Adrian>G

Adrian>G Agent

I bought the same dvd player and I can honestly say that I have not made a bad choice. This actually plays dvd's better then my cable service in hd, I to looked at all reviews online, and found out there was problems with dts sounds distortions or what not, and alot of bad reviews about the remote, But if you think about it all products you buy wether tv or dvd will have some sort of junky remote. I did buya universal sony 2500 remote for my plasma and the dvd hd player and I tell u its amazing. so from me I say you bought a dam good dvd player. Might wanna get yourself some cables though so you can get better picture quality. but other then that congrats on buying it.

no problems at all.

Adrian

3. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Do a search here. There are a number of threads about this player. I seem to remember that there is a way to upgrade the firmware on it that solves a lot of the problems.

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Definitely upgrade the firmware (it's available on Samsung's web site). Then, disable HDCP encyrption by following the instructions on the vcdhelp.com site (Angle-4327-Angle, IIRC). This will allow 720p or 1080i output via component video.

I like my 841 just fine. Just don't use the DVI output as it clips black below 10IRE (which is a full 10% of the luma scale).

5. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I'm enjoying mine. Note that I do not an old fashioned TV with a curved screen, no DVI input, etc.. I got it mainly to try hi-rez music. I love the three discs I've bought so far.