Samsung DVD HD841 Firmware Surprise

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ChuckSolo, Jan 24, 2005.

1. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Yesterday I finally got around to doing the firmware upgrade to my Samsung DVD HD841. I have done firmware upgrades on PCs and laptop computers (to the CMOS chip) but never on a HT component. I have experienced firmware upgrades go seriously wrong so I was reluctant to attemp the upgrade on the Sammy. However, I always think it best to upgrade to the latest version of installed software so I gave it a go. What would you know but after doing the software upgrade I popped in my "Pianist" DVD and selected DTS as the audio track I wanted to listen to. Curiously all I could get was Dolby ProLogic II to come on and I began to get worried that I screwed up my player. Well, what actually happened was that the firmware upgrade had reset my player's audio settings to default and had turned off DTS and DD in the setup menu; all the other settings had stayed the same. After turning on DTS and DD I played the disc, selected the DTS track, and to my surprise, NO DTS droupouts for the entire movie. I then decided to test this and put in my copy of "Man on Fire" which I knew had definate DTS audio dropouts on my system. Lo and behold, another disc free of DTS audio dropouts. Basically I think what has happened here is that Samsung has addressed the DTS audio dropout issue in their latest firmware upgrade for the HD DVD841 and not advertised it since the upgrade is supposed to fix the DVI connection bug only. My thanks goes out to Samsung. I have really enjoyed my Sammy and the only thing I had been unhappy about was the sometimes DTS audio issue. Now that seems to be resolved with this upgrade and I couldn't be happier![​IMG]

2. David WS

David WS Stunt Coordinator

Chuck Solo

I have the same Sammy and love it but have not heard about this firmware upgrade. Where can I get it? Is it via CD/DVD?

thanks,

Dave

3. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Go to www.samsung.com and click on downloads. Enter the model number in the field and it will take you to the manual with a tab for firmware. It explains the rest to you.

4. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Thanks Jeremy. David, you will have to download the files to your PC and burn them onto a CD-R or CD-RW. The files are compressed in a .zip file. Although the instructions say there are three files, in actuallity there are only two. The upgrade is very simple to do but you must follow the instructions TO THE LETTER. Do exactly as the instructions say and the upgrade will be fine. Enjoy.[​IMG]

5. David WS

Thanks! I hope my BS in computer science will be enough to get me through... [​IMG]

6. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Hey David, I have a BS in Computer Information Systems. Don't worry, this is no where near as worrisome as doing a CMOS upgrade on a 3K buck Sony laptop. Try it, you'll be pleased with the results.[​IMG]

7. David WS

That "hold your breath" feeling you get whenever you do firmware upgrades is a strange thing. I just upgraded a Samsung SIR t150 HDTV STB last weekend. I had to make a serial (db-9) to stereo phono plug cable and run the update. Once it started, the STB emitted a very high pitched squeal. Talk about feeling nervous! I'd only spent $100 on the thing used (ebay) but still a tight in the chest feeling. [​IMG]

thanks for the advice, wish me luck.

8. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

hey david- can that SIR-150 box receive HDTV channels over comcast cable ?

I am tired of renting one of my boxes for my HT and wondering where or what box can receive HDTV from comcast.

sorry to intrude. just came to mind.