Samsung DVD-HD1000: available when?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Susilo, Aug 5, 2002.

1. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

This DVD player suposedly output 1080i and will be available in June 2002 as stated on the US and Canadian websites.

Anybody knows anything about this unit?

2. Phil_DC

Phil_DC Stunt Coordinator

3. David Susilo

Thanks for the link! Anybody have seen this unit in action? $2G Canadian is a lot if the 1080i quality sucks.

4. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Regardless of what is listed for sale on any website, I don't believe the HD1000 is available for purchase yet. The last word I got was September. They haven't even released the 921 yet, and that was originally scheduled for July.

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    How will it achieve 1080i/720p? Simply upconverting the video?

And how will this give better video? I mean in know that 480p is better because of 3:2 pulldown and not simply line-doubling. But how will the DVD player upconvert 480i to 1080i to give better video?

6. David Susilo

I don't know about what's inside that DVD player, but there are upconverters for broadcast usage which will upconvert 480i source to 1080i/720p.

How much better the end result is going to be? well, I've never seen it. Supposedly every HD broadcasters use at least one of these units for at least the commercials they aired.

7. Jay_Leonard

Jay_Leonard Stunt Coordinator

Video is upconverted inside your Digital TV now. up converting it in the DVD player means one less conversion?

8. David Susilo

But none of the HDTV set upconverts any input to 720p/1080i. The maximum it does is upconverting the signal to 480p, or in the case of Sony, 960p which by the way looks really ugly.

9. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

10. Ian Montgomerie

Ian Montgomerie Stunt Coordinator

The player uses a Faroudja deinterlacer, my guess is they are using Faroudja's scaling as well.

11. Jay_Leonard

Am I wrong...

Doesn't my Hughes HDTV box send out 1080i?

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Jay: Yes you're right, because its an HDTV box... it takes a native 1080i HD Signal from your satellite and outputs it to your TV... DVDs however are not originally 1080i, and must be upconverted to HD resolutions.

13. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

I'd be "leary" of a DVD player that transcodes DVD 480i or 480p into 1080i (or 720p) so that the image looked better.

My DISH 6000 HDTV SAT receiver will, if I wish, transcode all 480i channels coming in up to 1080i (or 720p).

This "upconversion" is not good - the channel looks better left in the native 480i coming out of the 6000 and into my RPTV (my RPTV then merely line doubles to 480p - which can be done inexpensively to make images look smoother). (I'm talking here relative to CRT displays - not fixed pixel.)

The guys at Faroudja I talked to at the CES show recommended against this type of 480i->720p or 1080i upconversion in DVD players as not gaining anything and very difficult to do inexpensively "right" so that resulting image would actually look any better to you. The Faroudja guys did say that ordering/specifying one of their Native Rate $10K DVD players to output at 540p would possibly add a bit to DVD images on CRT displays, but to not go beyond this even with their NR player because nothing would be gained in a CRT display.

The $20K discrete scalers can sometimes pull this off for CRT displays ...... but at DVD player selling prices ....... probably not likely.

14. mike_decock

15. David Susilo

The only problem is nobody at Samsung Canada even knows that they are manufacturing this particular DVD player.

16. Jay_Leonard

Nick,

17. mike_decock