What's new

Samsung DVD HD-931, opinions? (1 Viewer)

Thomas S

Auditioning
Hi gang. Just bought this player and it sounds cleaner than my Sony Progressive player ever did. I purchased it because it has the DVI Upscaling output which I plug into my Sharp Z10000 DLP Projector. By the way this player is great, really like it. Surprisingly even with the output set to 1080, my computers DVI out thru the video card looks better set at 1280X1024 than the Samsung does, it appears to have a slight ghosting on the Samsung as though the convergence is off but I know it is not as the DVI signal from the computer looks a bit better. Could it be the input select on my Sharp. Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks!

"The beauty is in the details............."

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Glad to hear you are enjoying your new Sammy! I have the little brother to yours, the 841 and I love it. Unfortunately, you're not going to find many fans of the Samsung upscaling players here.:frowning: The boards are rife with bad reviews, rumors, the legendary "black crush" (whatever the heck that is) that seems to plague these players. I for one have never had any problems at all with my Sammy and have been labeled one of the "lucky" ones. Have you tried SACD discs in it yet? If you haven't you are going to be really pleased with the sound. The hi-rez sound heard from these discs can be unbelievable. Anyway, I don't want to sound negative as I am really glad you are enjoying your 941; but be warned though, most people treat these players like they have some kind of infectious disease. Enjoy!!;)

Roger D

Agent
I am actually considering one of the Samsung 941 or 841. The only real reason that I want the 941 is because it has the HDMI rather than the DVI. My TV does not have the DVI input. I've been weary about these players because Sound & Vision January issue reviewed the 841 and said that using the component outputs provided a better picture than the DVI. My understanding is that the 480p was a better picture than the 1080i. I can't recall exact problems, but I think it was in the shadows or dark scenes. I suppose this could be the "black crush" you mention.

So I was wondering if the 941 might be any better? I was also thinking that maybe I might not notice the difference. Anyway, is there any upconverting player that you could recommend, or at least recommend based on other people's posts here. Ideally, I want upconverting using the HDMI connection. I'm keeping my last component jacks free for the X Box.

Sorry for length of post.

Roger

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I would try the 941 since HDMI seems to be the wave of the future. Like I said in my post my RCA RPTV works great with the 841 via DVI and I haven't seen the "black crush" issue that everyone yaps about. As for the component output being better than the DVI output, all I can say is not on my TV. Anyway, there are various upscaling players out there from Sony, Denon and others. My player is great, and when I get an HDTV for the bedroom, I will probably buy one with HDMI and purchase a 941 since my 841 has been so great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks