What's new

Samsung DLP's 43 vs. 50 (1 Viewer)

Mike Wilk

Stunt Coordinator
I only learned enough to seriously consider a DLP set a few weeks ago. Yesterday I went to 2 Best Buy stores and saw a 4365 next to a 5065. In both cases, showing the same demo loop, the 43's were noticeably brighter. Identically mismatched settings I doubt. I wonder if the same lamp output spread over the larger "acreage" is the problem. Anyone care to comment?

:confused:

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I dont think this is the issue. Likely just out-of-the-box brightness.

Remember that in a brightly-lit showroom, the TV's are in 'torch' mode to help them stand out. You will always turn them down when you get home, and ideally you would hire a calibrationist to correctly set the brightness using a meter.

I believe these lamps are similar to projector lamps - very high output even with long throw distances.

Mike Wilk

Stunt Coordinator
What I forgot to also mention was the fact that each of the smaller 43's where actually in brighter areas. The 50's were under a sort of shaded alcove. If I go back to look again, I'm hoping I get a chance to play with their settings.

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

When you do get back, make sure that you have the same settings for contrast, brightness, color, sharpness, etc. as well as DNIe, DNR, etc.

If one TV was set to "Normal" picture mode, and the other to "Movie" picture mode, you'll definitely see a difference in brightness.

Lamp output being spread to a 35% larger screen should not be a factor.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
In a normal home environment (ie, living room with windows and curtains, not a pitch black dedicated home theater, but still far less than "torch mode") what kind of life can one expect to get out of the bulbs in a DLP rear-projector system?

-Steve

John Geelan

Screenwriter
8000 hours is Samsung's pitch but the early models have had a shorter life span so far (bulb problems) which will hopefully be worked out soon.

Many people who buy the Sammy's also buy a spare bulb on the side in case the first bulb goes bad early so they don't miss watching TV (the bulbs go for about $275 at this point).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks