Samsung DLP...?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DonnyD, Apr 9, 2004.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Gotta (or rather "get to") buy a new tv for my son's HT/games room and was checking out the new offerings, including the Samsung DLP units... Are there any MAJOR reasons NOT to buy one of these? I would also be purchasing the Samsung DVI DVD player...
    Pic looked really good versus others around it.... and yes, I checked the settings so I was comparing apples to apples.......
    Liked the lcd/plasmas but the prices on the DLP units are much better........

2. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

Personally, I am waiting for the improved units to be released. The current date is August, but you know how release dates go.

3. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Make sure that where you buy a DLP set from has a good return policy (say 30 days). Some people have reported eyestrain and headaches from watching DLP sets. Additionally, some people see "rainbows" (do a search for DLP rainbows) which they find objectionable.

The negatives aside, I own a DLP set, and it's pretty darn impressive. I don't get eyestrain or headaches nor do I see rainbows except in very rare circumstances (a nonissue for me). There are other positives; the vivid colors, no burn in, and pretty good form factor.

As stated, Samsung is coming out with improved sets this autumn, so if you can hold off during the summer you may wish to take a look at what else is coming down the product pipe. I suggest that if you are truly intrigued by the DLP sets that you purchase one and ensure that you can return it if you, or one of your family members, is bothered by the above issues.

4. Artis Hall

Artis Hall Extra

I own one with no issues thus far and I am a chronic Migraine/eye strain sufferer (PC monitors). If it does not bother me I figure it's worth a try for someone interested in them. I am definitely not returning it although I did return the DVI samsung DVD player. There are better players for less money out there (I use a Denon DVD 1600 after trying many others). The Samsung DVD player clips low level black information clearly on any black test you throw at it. Try it with the one on the Star Wars Episode 2 disc if you don't have AVIA or something similar. I LOVE the TV and the HDTV picture is incredible. Make sure you sit far enough back from it. Experiment with different distances.

5. ChadFetter

ChadFetter Extra

From everything that I have read so far, it doesn't look like Samsung is going to upgrade their 61".

Can anyone confirm this for me?

6. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

What's new about the DLP's coming out this fall?

Aaron

7. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

8. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Can you adopt me?

9. Justin-Gz

Justin-Gz Auditioning

I was wondering about the Samsug DLP's as well, I have read some reviews where people have complained that the bulb in their samsung DLP lasted only three months than blew out. I am trying to decide between the Samsung HLN5065W or the Panasonic PT-53WX53. I know that one is CRT and one is DLP and I know that their is a about a $1500 price difference but I almost have enough money for the Panasonic saved to get it now but If I would be happier in the long run with a DLP set I will wait a little longer to save up the extra dough. My only concern with the Samsung is the hassle of bulbs always blowing out, but then I like the fact you don't have worry about the burn in factor and it's smaller body. If anyone owns either of these sets I would really appreciate your feedback.

By the way I just joined I love this place!
    -Justin

10. Ralph Jenkins

Ralph Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased the 43" Samsung DLP and I'm quite pleased with it so far. The picture quality is excellent (especially X-box games that can do 720p) and I only notice "rainbows" if I dart my eyes to or from the screen very quickly.

I have been wondering how long the bulb is going to last, though. Does anyone know the life expectancy of one of these bulbs? I'm wondering if I should buy a backup so I'll have one handy when the current one burns out. Also, how much do the bulbs run?

Thanks,

-- Ralph

11. Ralph Jenkins

Ralph Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

After doing some digging, it seems the bulb will last about 8000 hours in the 43" model and costs about $250.

Does anyone know of a place that sells the lamp replacement?

12. Ryan*C

Ryan*C Auditioning

Shoot... crap... well, this poses a slight problem. See, I planned on buying all my junk (Athena Speakers, Yamaha 5790, and the 50" Samsung DLP (HLN5065W) model before I left in June. But if there is a new Samsung DLP model coming out with the new HLP5063W with the new HD3 chip (that sounds like it makes a heck of a difference) I don't really know if I can wait. But say I could, would it be worth the wait for the new chip/model?

Please help... and maybe I'll stay a little longer... I do get my 1 year raise in July [​IMG]

Thanks...
    Ryan*C

P.S. Can you really use the DLP for a computer monitor? I want to if you can...

13. Mark Basile

Mark Basile Stunt Coordinator

After much thought and consideration, I personally have decided on waiting for a 61 - 65" xHD3-equipped set next year as my first HDTV. Not only is it third generation DLP, but the contrast is reportedly much better than even the current HD2+ units. Also it can handle 1080p, which I have been really waiting for. Even if no one supports it for a while, up-converting all sources to 1080p probably looks really excellent. Hopefully, the sets will meet the expectations.

14. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

I've calibrated 2 identical model Samsung DLP's so far, and they both exhibited identical non adjustable geometry pincushion distortion and Y/C delay. Also, they both had poor black levels- I measured about .17 footlamberts black level on each, which is clearly gray (not black) in a darkened room.

15. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Yes after all that gibber gabberish that only ISF Video Calibrators care about how did the picture finally LOOK!

16. Justin-Gz

Justin-Gz Auditioning

Went ahead and got the HLN507W, what the hell I hope I'm happy with it.