What's new

Samsung DLP Plus Video Scaler? (1 Viewer)

Pete Little

Auditioning
Howdy, folks. I'm a first time poster who just bought the Samsung 50 inch DLP set. Has anyone paired one of these sets with an external video scaler, like the Faroudja Native Rate or HD Leeza, letting the box handle the upconversion to 720p, as opposed to the set itself? If so, what have the results been like? Noticeable improvement or not so much?

Thanks in advance. Oh, and if this is the wrong thread for this question, my apologies. I'm new here!

Pete

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would guess there could be some improvements, but the set does have a very good Faroudja based scaler built in. In my in-stored demos it looked the best on standard cable compared to the Sony XBR and Phillips LCOS momst likely due to the better internal scaler. Also, one of the DVI scaling dvd-players like a Samsung HD-931 or Bravo D1 may be a good addition if you go with this set, not as much for the scaling since the set would do a good job, but because of keeping the signal entirely in the digital domain (no D->A or A->D conversions).

Pete Little

Auditioning
Thanks, Stephen. That's what I suspected. I watched MIB last night on the Sammy using my old Pioneer interlaced DVD player through the component inputs. It looked fantastic! Gotta give credit to the built-in scaler doing it's job.

:)

*Luke*

Agent
I pulled my wife's Briteview off her LCD and put it on MY (hehe) 61" Sammy DLP and it was better at handling SDTV. For DVD I use Denon's 5900 via DVI and of course with some tweaks it rocks.....I would think using like KDS' Leeza outputting in an appropriate 1:1 pixel mapping 4:3 material would look better if you're using an HD STB since usually STB have to stretch or zoom of course causing fat people or zoom which is poor mapping. Even if the improvements are minimal, it will look cool in your rack;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks