Samsung DLP Owners - Help Please!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by PhilipD, Sep 2, 2003.

1. PhilipD

PhilipD Auditioning

I just purchased a new 50" Samsung DLP TV (HLN507W) and am not very pleased with the picture out of the box. The colors are saturated to the point of unrealism (bright green grass, overly red faces) and the contrast is too high. More disappointing is that a lot of the dark scenes are nearly unwatchable because of low detail.

I have played with the picture adjustments somewhat but haven't found a combination that I like. I have the new Video Essentials DVD on order, but I only have another 14 days and my ability to return the TV expires.

My question is whether other owners of this series of Samsung TVs have had similar experiences out of the box, and whether they have successfully made the necessary adjustments to get a good picture?

I know a lot of people are really happy with their Samsung TVs. What I'm trying to figure out is if it simply a matter of taste, or if it is a matter of the proper calibration.

At this point I'm thinking of trading-in for a 42" Panny Plasma, but the larger screen size and higher resolution (native 720p) of the Sammy appeal to me. I'd like to keep the Sammy if there is hope of improving the picture.

Note: I don't have good lighting control in the room, so I'm constrained to TV's with the ability to deal with that. That's how I narrowed my choice to the Plasma or DLP.

Thanks in advance,
    Phil

2. bruce townley

bruce townley Stunt Coordinator

First of all, I understand that this tv needs to be calibrated by Video Essentials or the equivalent. I, too, am waiting, so I have not done that yet. (I own the HLN 5065 which is the same as yours)

One adjustment that is almost mandatory is to reduce the Gamma to 0 or 1. You would need to get into the Service Menu to do so. There are a list of minor adjustments that have been recommended at another forum that I have also incorporated.

I will tell you that after having watched about 20 hours, and made the service menu adjustments, I notice a vast improvement over the OOTB experience.

If you want the exact numbers for the adjustments, pm me with your e-mail address and I will send you the spreadsheet.

3. PhilipD

PhilipD Auditioning

Bruce,

Thanks for your reply. Adjustment of the gamma is likely to improve what I described as too much contrast. I have been reluctant to change any of the service menu stuff because I was afraid I might want to return this TV to the store at some point.

Sounds like I don't have a choice but to try the service menu stuff if I truly want to judge the quality of the TV. Oh well.

I downloaded some suggested settings from the AVS forum (published by mike_pro), so I will start there.

Thanks again,
    Phil

---------------

9/3/03 Update

I changed the gamma setting to 0 and made some adjustments to brightness, contrast, sharpness, tint and color and came up with a picture that looks great. Can't wait to get my new Video Essentials DVD so that I can fine tune the picture to make it even better.