What's new

Samsung DLP- Jaggies Cure? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I have set up a Samsung DLP set for someone and there seems to be excessive jagged edges, etc., in certain scenes and title sequences.
The DVD player is a Sony DVVP-NC665P. The TV is set to 'Film Mode' on. The connection is directly to the TV via component cables.

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BTW- The picture quality is less than stellar. Any thoughts on this too?

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Would using a DVI cable improve the cable picture substantially over component? He has an HD box that supports it, along with an input on the TV.

If it's a slam dunk sure thing, I'll suggest it.

Thanks

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What kind of jaggies are you seeing and how severe? Is it more than just pixel effects? Menus sometimes have horribly blocking that is just normal, but the movie should be ok.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
This one I noticed in particular: When the 'Touchstone' logo comes across the screen in the opening of Pearl Harbor.

It just seems so much worse than on my TV(Toshiba 57HX81) and DVD player(Mits DD-8040).

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding the less than stellar PQ, I've found the gamma setting in the service menu to have a big influence on PQ. On the sets I calibrated (2 of the 50 inchers), I ended up setting the gamma at 0, which gave good grayscale tracking and a subjective PQ improvement; but according to my color analyzer software, the gamma still measured about 3.08, which is noticeably higher than the theoretical ideal of 2.5 or so. After calibration, grayscale tracking was excellent, even near black. However, the contrast ratio was poor due to the .18 ftL black level. The dark scenes and shadows look washed out when watching in a dark room, but due to the excellent grayscale tracking they look very neutral and there's no nasty tinting. By the way, both had slight but noticeable Y/C delay via the component hookups, and severe Y/C delay via the S-Vid and composite. As far as I could tell, the Y/C delay was not adjustable. If someone knows how to adjust it, please let me know.
I didn't notice any nasty jaggies on either of these sets, though. One was using an interlaced Toshiba DVD player and the other used a progressive scan Onkyo. Both used component hookups direct to the TV. Is the DVD player outputting an interlaced signal?

Chad

MikeKeck

Grip
I noticed those jaggies on a 50" sammy DLP at the store and thats the reason i chose the Sony Grand wega LCD XBR next to it, it looked so much cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks