What's new

Samsung DLP, any reasons not to buy? (1 Viewer)

Don Petsche

Agent
The set will convert 1080i to 720p. At first that may look dissapointing. There are a number of explanations as to why that isn't necessarily so. 1080i, by definition, is only refreshing half of the picture at a time. 720p is the entire frame.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Any one have a link r other info on when the 56" models will be out? I'm thinking of buying a TV in the next 2 weeks and the 61" is a little big for the girlfriend, so I'm leaning toward a 55 or so (I just sold my mits 55" and it was just about right.)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Yep, I'm in the waiting mode at this point.

I really dig the HLN507 but I might as well wait and see the newer HLN467 and 567's which should be here shortly.

Someone who saw the 46" and 56" in action at a NYC Product Demo for Samsung 2 months ago said the 46" had the absolute best picture he had ever seen on a Samsung DLP.

Plus the Phillips LCOS set should be arriving in September, DLP's only competition at this point (rumors of a RCA DLP coming down the pike too!).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The set will convert 1080i to 720p. At first that may look dissapointing. There are a number of explanations as to why that isn't necessarily so. 1080i, by definition, is only refreshing half of the picture at a time. 720p is the entire frame.
Also, w/ current (and near future) 1080i broadcasts, you won't get the full benefit of the higher resolution either. From what I understand, current 1080i broadcasts tend to be ~1400 pixels wide, not the full 1920. Meanwhile, the DLP displays are probably 1280 wide (or maybe 1366x768 for some). And probably, you won't notice the difference between 1280 vs ~1400 (and certainly not 1366 vs 1400).

However, in the long run, it would be preferable to have a 1080p display, if it's gonna be digital/fixed-pixel. But such will cost much more, eg. as found in a few LCOS displays, and may not matter for a long time yet -- probably not until HD-DVD becomes a reality.

_Man_

PS: For some reason, I thought I saw a Samsung DLP w/ 1366x768 resolution, but can't seem to find it anymore. Maybe I was just mistaken on that.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I recently saw the Samsung HLN507W at Fry's Electronics playing back a live HDNet DBS broadcast.

The picture quality was just BREATHTAKING. :emoji_thumbsup: You could see small details with most impressive sharpness, far superior to any other 50" 16:9 I've seen. I also saw DVD playback on the same unit connected to a Panasonic DVD-S35K with via component input with progressive scan mode disabled; while of course the sharpness is inferior to the HDNet HDTV broadcast, the built-in Faroudja DCDi deinterlacing still made for a stunning playback with no interlace lines at all and quite good picture quality.

If I had the money I'll buy one in a New York minute. :D

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
Doug_E_P--

The DLPs also have pixels go out. The one in our local CC's showroom has one pixel out, for instance...

It is a _lovely_ picture, though...

Me

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I've also been impressed overall with the picture quality of the HLN507.
It looks great at a local CC.

I went to a hi-end retailer on Long Island called Harvey Electronics and for some reason their HLN506W seemed very grainy. It was by the front door and its unknown if they had set it up properly (tweaked the set or not).

They will be getting in the newer HLN567's sometime next month so hopefully they'll call me up so I can go in and check that set out.

As of now I'm pretty much set on getting a DLP TV in the near future (got my $$$ saved up).

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
Whoa whoa, I was going to get one of these sets, but pixels go out?! I thought that only happened on LCDs. How often does that happen on DLPs?

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I just put a deposit down on a 567. Will let everyone know when I get more info on when it will be delivered. I'm first in line at my store; it's looking like August now. I'm TV-less until then, but I don't care until football season starts back up (and my pre-paid sunday ticket starts wasting away.) Until then, I'll enjoy the sun and learn to deal with my anticipation...

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
The DLPs also have pixels go out.
Please elaborate Tim. According to Texas Instruments, the odds of a microscopic mirror malfunctioning is highly unlikely due to their heavily-refined manufacturing of dmd chips. In other words, their dmd chips are some of the most reliable mechanical devices manufactured this day and age.

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
It's a small, black, rectangular spot near the middle of the screen. (It's small enough that I'm not entirely sure that it's rectangular-- it may be square).

Moving the screen (by pressing gently on it) doesn't change the relative position of the dot. I.e., I don't think it's a dirty spot on the screen.

If it's a dirty spot on the mirror or a lens, then it's awfully regular (and in quite good focus).

It's quite small-- it takes other people a moment to notice it even once I've pointed it out.

I've been around LCD screens for 5-6 years. To me, it looks like a missing pixel.

The Circuit City in question is located in the DC area if anyone wants to look at it-- PM me for the specific store...

Me

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks