What's new

Samsung DLP 50 inch HLM507W or 56 inch HLM567W (1 Viewer)

Shawn_L

Auditioning
Hi all,

I just purchased a Samsung 50 inch DLP. I don't have it yet it will be delivered on Friday. I was also looking at the 56 inch DLP. They had the two setup side by side in the store and the picture appeared to be brighter and sharper on the 50 inch. That being said the picture on the 56 inch also looked outstanding just not quite as good. The 56 inch model was a Tantus version which had a different cabinet style. The other nice thing was that their was room on the top of the cabinet to place my center channel speaker. The 50 inch has a lip on the top so I am not able to set the speaker on top of it without a special shelf. The salesperson who seemed very knowledgeable recommended the 50 inch over the 56 inch saying that the DLP chip and the color wheel were made for the 50 inch which is why the picture was sharper and brighter. He also thought the 50 inch would be more suited to the room I was putting it in which I will have a view distance of 12 to 14 feet. The price difference between the two was $300.

Anyway, I guess my question ends up being does anyone have the 56 inch or done the comparisons?

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shawn

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
The 50 will look better tha the 56 sitting side by side because the screen is bigger and pixels are blown up which in comparison translates to leeser picture quaility. I say go with the 56 over the 50. At a 12-14 feet viewing range, DEFINITELY go with the 56, the salesperson is nuts. I am getting the new HLP4674W (Tantus) when they release in a few months and my viewing distance is 8-10 feet. Take the screen size and double it and you can get a good idea what the optimal viewing distance versus screen size should be (roughly). My ultimate suggestion would be to wait until July/August for the new HLP line of Sammy DLP's drop which will feature a new color wheel which will introduce better blacks than ever seen on the DLP technology. I also like the Tantus for the center channel shelf, it solves that issue of placement.

Shawn_L

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice! Don't know if I can wait another 4 months for a new TV though :b

ChadFetter

Grip
Does your suggestion also apply to the 61"? Will a new one be coming out in July/August? Where can I find information on this Tantus you are talking about?

Thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks