Samsung DirecTV Receiver Issues

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Todd Henry, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

I setup the Samsung SIR-TS160 receiver last night to my Sony 46" TV. I am able to get the OTA HD channels, but when commercials play it does not go into Full Screen picture Mode. I have changed the preferences on the Receiver for 4:3 shows, but is there something I am missing on the TV. Also, when a non HD shows is on the HD Channel (i.e. Good Morning America) it is also pillared. Another setting on the receiver is for gray or black bars. I have selected gray but it still shows black.

Thanks in advance for any help. The HD picture looks great.

Todd

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I'm not familiar with your receiver but the same setting on my Hughes E-86 only works on standard def channels.

-Robert

3. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

Robert,

Thanks for the explanation. Looks like I have everything set up correctly.

If you want to watch a non HD program, do you watch on the Satellite local channel or an upconverted 4x3 program on the HD channel.

Todd

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I watch SD programming via a DirecTivo. Actually, I'm so addicted to the Tivo that I've only been watching a few sporting events in HD. I really need the HD DirecTivo when it comes out.

-Robert

5. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

Robert,

That is my plan as well, to continue with my DirecTV except for the HD programming.

Todd

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I too watch SD programs from the satellite, but I normally bypass Tivo unless I’m catching up, as the component outputs from my satellite receiver provide slightly better picture quality than the S-Video from the Tivo.

But anything in HD I watch in HD.

7. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

I watch most shows via D* but any network show even SD comes in far better OTA on their digital channels. No ghost, better contrast and sharpness. There is a big difference between local channels over the D* vs OTA digital. I'm sure they get a fairly low bandwidth assigned to them.

8. Bill Kennedy

Bill Kennedy Extra

Todd: I am assuming your Sony is 16:9. With the 160, you can fool it and thus use 160 stretch modes on 1080i sourced material to get rid of the transmitted black bars on upconverted SD material. Just tell the 160 you have a 4:3 TV in setup instead of a 16:9 and presto -- just use zoom mode for all SD material. Becaase it is upconverted, it is a better pic than s-vid any day and the stretch is just as easy to get used to as TV stretch modes on 480i sources.

Also, you can leave it at 4:3 -- when an HD program comes on, simply change the 160 stretch to full (or pillar box) and you will see that it is exactly the same picture area/aspect as if viewing it in 16:9 setup mode.

Have fun!