Samsung BR player with possible defect or is it the real problem? See Post #25

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Robert Crawford, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  2. Pete T C

Pete T C Second Unit

I don't think this is necessarily news - Remember when some found that the 1080i component looked sharper than 1080p HDMI on Samsung? That would bypass the Genesis chip and hence bypass this bug. So you can do your own fix simply by watching component at 1080i i would think.

3. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Wow. Just saw this article too. No wonder Bill from the bits thought that the Pioneer player looked so much better! Hopefully this can be fixed on the current sammy's without too much hassle.

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Finally some positive Blu-ray news.

5. Jeff(R)

Jeff(R) Second Unit

Interesting. I was always concerned about everyone heaping blame upon MPEG2, when all software reviews were based on the output and performance of only one player. Of course I would still prefer the use of advanced codecs for obvious reasons, but just as when standard DVD players were first released, variations in image quality will likely exist between manufacturers and models, even if all titles used VC1 or MPEG4.

6. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Am I remembering right... didn't some people basically claim that Bill Hunt's observations were bs and that they weren't seeing improvement over component?

7. Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S Second Unit

Hardly any discussion about a player being defective...

Either there are fewer Blu Ray owners out there than I thought, or this place just isn't as active as other forums.

8. Jeff(R)

Jeff(R) Second Unit

This issue is important since (if true) it has likely colored all reviews of Blu-ray software and initial opinions of the format in general. Yes, other HD areas here appear to have more activity. I hope that major review sites will revisit titles if differences between the uncorrected and corrected players warrant revisions.

9. Pete T C

Pete T C Second Unit

Well, if you have a digital set that does shitty ADC, that could outweigh the benefit of sharper video over analog component.

10. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

11. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

According to the article posted, Samsung will be issuing a firmware update to fix this problem. So perhaps the Sammy won't have to be taken to the shop.

12. Brad HP

Brad HP Agent

I spent a couple of weeks using the Samsung via component and noticed the softness and other distracting artifacts that others have reported. If this chip is at fault and component bypasses it, then there are probably other issues at play with the current BD hardware or software as well (i.e. software encoding on single layer impacting the Sony software). It's interesting to see Sony point the finger at Samsung. I wonder if Samsung's official response will take all the blame?

13. Larry Sutliff

I've been using the Sammy via component as well, and the problems that should only exist when using HDMI were still readily apparent. I still think that the MPEG2 software is to blame, and not this supposed defect. Besides, how can disabling a noise reduction chip make noisy transfers less problematic? It doesn't make sense.

I tried returning the Sammy to CC today, but I was over the thirty day policy. They gave me a discount and a gift certificate to help compensate. I'm stuck with the Sammy for now, but I do think that better software and transfers will eradicate this problem. And I'm game for a firmware disc whenever they want to send it out.

14. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    So I assume that no one has brought their unit in to manually disable this switch yet?

15. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Which, of course, implied nothing (as we've seen) about how full length movies would look, because you can crank the bit rate much higher in a demo.

I don't think this "the Samsung has a defect" idea explains away all the problems people are having with BD PQ.

16. Brad HP

Brad HP Agent

I would bring a copy of the news article that the player is faulty to CC and not leave until I had a refund. If you are calm, considerate and presistent eventually someone will take the return. You can't be that many days past 30. Did you buy it with a service plan? If yes, then if all else fails you could insist they either fix it now or give you a refund.

17. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Amen, Brad.

18. Larry Sutliff

Thanks, guys. One of the problems was that CC was packed this morning, and the cash registers were broken, so they had one guy at customer service ringing out sales and taking returns, credit card payments, etc. I'll try to go back later in the week when things are less hectic and see what happens.

But I still think that this "chip defect" thing is a ruse, or not the whole story. I checked out certain things, like some of the trailers for other movies, on BD discs, and they look good. Probably because it's easier to make a 2 minute trailer look good with MPEG2 than a whole feature. I still think that the Sammy is probably not the real culprit here, it's the software. We'll know for sure whether this is the case when Warners and Fox release titles in different codecs. I don't know whether I'll still have the Samsung or perhaps a diffferent player when that happens, but it will be interesting to see regardless.

EDIT: Over on AVS, Stacey Spears says that he has made homemade VC-1 discs for BD, and they look identical to the same material on the Toshiba, so he thinks that the Genesis chip may only be applied to MPEG2, which doesn't make sense to me, but I'm no techie. Very odd. He's going to create MPEG2 discs for both BD and HD DVD to see what happens.

19. Steve-A

Steve-A Auditioning

According to Stacey Spears, using component does not bypass the genesis chip. So component output is also being affected by the defective chip.

20. Dave H

Dave H Producer

IF the chip is even defected (with VC-1 anyway). Spears found some very interesting things.