Samsung Blu-Ray player on display at my local Best Buy

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Brent M, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Went into BB today to pick up a belt clip for my cell phone and much to my surprise the Samsung Blu-Ray player was on display hooked up to a 40" Samsung LCD TV. I was standing there looking at it when the salesman came up and asked if I had any questions. I said, "no I'm just checking out this new player" and he said that it will look even better when they're able to demo an actual Blu-Ray movie on it. Right now they are running a demo disc, but he said they had movies in the back ready to be put on the shelf tomorrow. I didn't ask which ones, but I wasn't aware there were even going to be any Blu-Ray titles released on 6/20. Anyway, I'll probably stop back in there later in the week to see how it looks. Interestingly enough, the Blu-Ray setup took the place of the HD-DVD display which was nowhere to be found in the store now.

2. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Lucky you, Brent!
    I'll have to check my local BB, tomorrow.
    Thanks for the heads up!

3. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

I happened to stop in to a local CircuitCity on Sunday, and was approached by a salesman. He mentioned that they had the Samsung BRD player hooked up to a 50" Sony SXRD playing 5th Element (I assume the BRD version, or perhaps it was the demo disk). Sorry, I can't tell you how it looked, as I'm trying to maintain my self control for at least another 6-12 months, so I stayed as far away from that setup as possible.
    I did get the impression that that salesman, if not CC in general, was excited about Blu-Ray. He offered up that information without any provocation, other than having me standing around the large-screen TV section. Of course it could have just been the thought of getting a big fat commission from selling someone a 50" SXRD and a BRD player that got him excited.

-- Dave

4. John Stell

John Stell Supporting Actor

John Stell
    Well, my Best Buy still had their Toshiba set up. Beneath the Toshiba were only Blu Ray titles. There were no HD DVD titles to be found. So, they have hardware on display for software they aren't selling, and software on sale for hardware they aren't displaying. Color me confused.

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Stopped by my local Best Buy today. The Samsung display is back to back with the Toshiba display, each with a rack of titles. Neither is displayed more prominently. The bad (or good, depending on how you look at it) thing about the BD display is that they weren't running any BD titles.

6. Brent M

Brent M Producer

At this point, I think even the major retailers are befuddled by the rollout of both these formats. It really has been a huge mess IMHO and I'm glad I decided months ago to sit on the sidelines and wait out this stupid format war for a while. I've certainly got enough unwatched DVDs to keep me busy until either one format wins or a universal player is brought to market.

7. John Wielgosz

John Wielgosz Stunt Coordinator

The local Best Buy (Wilkes-Barre, PA) has the Samsung up in the HD-A1's former space, but the display (Westinghouse 42' 1080p LCD) was set up horribly. I'm aware of reports of macroblocking on "House of Flying Daggers", but this was ridiculous.

Faces showed a terrible "solarized" look for the lack of a better adjective. The image was noticably soft and filtered. I was on my way to work, so I didn't have the time to get a look at the display settings.

Fair amount of titles out, but I can't see them moving any units with this setup.

8. Matt-Z

Matt-Z Stunt Coordinator

I just got back from CircutCity (wife was in Old Navy) I was just burning some time not really looking at anything in particular. I saw a small display of Blu-ray titles and thought maybe they'd have one set up. At that point my kid took off and I had to chase him (2.5 year old) down an aisle towards the tvs. I saw the Samsung player hooked up to a Samsung 1080p display (if I had to guess @ 55 "). One word. Unimpressive. It was playing The Fifth Element and I actually got down on my hands and knees to make sure about what I was witnessing. I even saw the opened blu-ray case the disc came out of and had enough time to be unimpressed with that too. My son was taken by the movie so I had a little time to stand and look. I saw lots of problems, or distractions. I kept thinking there were scratches on the film. But more surprising to me was the lack of positives. I thought I'd see some sort of, well, fullness, that I perhaps had never appreciated was missing from DVD. ( I always marvel at those guys who talk about movies they saw in the seventies and how they can recollect all the minutia of its presentation.) Anyway, For anyone looking forward to all this, let's just hope this thing wasn't set up right. Personally, I think we're looking at the next "Laserdisc". I'll be surprised if any of this stuff ever achieves more than a niche market, and here's why. I believe the number of people willing to spend even 25 bucks on a title is significantly lower than the number willing to spend 15.99. And I'm at the point where I don't even want to pay THAT anymore. I don't know, I'm probably just an idiot. I only really looked at the thing for maybe two and a half minutes. I guess I was somehow hoping that the movie was going to somehow look different than on DVD. We'll see how it goes either way I suppose.
    Matt

9. Todd McF

Todd McF Second Unit

Your not an idiot. I've seen the same display at my BB/Magnolia and it could easily pass for standard def DVD. Same thing with HD DVD display, but that was marginally better. Certainly no WOW factor at all in either technology. No chance I'm parting with even $500 until I see something that makes me go WOW.

I'm not shy about spending on my theater - but I smell the next Laserdisc / Beta Max fiasco from a mile away. I think they are *both* going to be MIA at Best Buy / CC in just a few months. No chance they will waste the floor space on this.

Nobody was watching *either* display and BB was packed!

In contrast, all the LCD/Plasma/DLP displays showing the typical HD loops looked fantastic and were generating serious traffic.

10. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

I don't know how anyone can tell anything at a Best Buy. I tried looking at House of Flying Daggers on their display, but could barely make out anything due to all the ambient light bouncing off the screen. The displays aren't in the darker area of the store where the tvs are at.

The best demo material I've seen is that little bit where they show a split-screen comparison between DVD and HD-DVD. Haha. Definitely overexaggerated, but, hey, maybe someone will bite. If they really believe in this stuff, let's see some real split-screen comparisons in those demos...

One observation (which is admittedly meaningless in the grand scheme of things) this week - on Tuesday at my local BB, they had 2 Toshiba HD-DVD players and 2 Samsung Blu-Ray players. Yesterday, they only had 2 Samsung Blu-Ray players.

11. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Yesterday at the Best Buy near me, the HD DVD player was still in the same setup. The next endcap display had the Blu-ray players and discs, but no demo because they "didn't get the demo disc yet".

12. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Went back to BB today and instead of actually showing a new Blu-Ray release like The Terminator or XXX on their display, they had a high-def demo disc that was showing, I kid you not, the internal workings of a wristwatch. I just stood there stunned going WTF!!!

13. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Sounds like a Japanese demo disc. They love things like that. City streets, scenery, models with food, clocks — LaserDisc had all kinds of crazy demo discs, and I'm sure DVD, HD DVD, and BD do too.

14. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

I saw xXx running on a large 1080p DLP at BB a few days before launch. The image was riddled with video noise and frankly looked terrible.

Shared my thoughts with the BB guy and he basically agreed. I was back a few days later and they had taken down the display.

I've been holding off on DVD purchases, but when I came across some used copies of Firewall/16 Blocks/KKBB, I couldn't resist (all three for $20).

I might end up getting a smaller HD set (46") and just sticking with DVD.

15. Steve Blair

Steve Blair Second Unit

Saw the demo again today when I was returning the BD player at CC. They had a demo disc with Hitch and some other movies playing. My brother was with me and is no videophile. I asked him what he thought and he said "what's with all that stuff (noise) in the background? Why so soft? This isn't HD right? I showed him The Chronicles of Riddick the other night on hd dvd and he was blown away.

Oh, and the cashier told me they had 4 BD players returned in the last 2 days from internet purchases like mine.

16. Joe_G

Joe_G Second Unit

I visited a local BB here and they had the Toshiba demo taken down. There was a sealed player on the shelf, but the dvd's were moved to where they have their dvd players. They had BR discs where the Toshiba was set up.

They're talking about this at avsforum also. Apparently, BB is pushing Blu-Ray sales and pushed HD-DVD off to the side to die. Someone over at AVS went into a BB to buy a Toshiba player and BB wouldn't sell it to him. They had a brand new one on the shelf sealed. The BB manager told him that they can't sell them because they are defective and are being recalled. Instead they tried to talk him into a Blu-Ray player. WTF?!?!? Another person went into a BB and asked to see a HD-DVD demo and was refused.

Looks like Sony has slippped some retailers some $$$$ to promote Blu-Ray and ignore HD-DVD.

17. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Here's a really misleading tactic by Best Buy to promote Blu-ray: Demo the "superior picture quality" of Blu-ray at the Blu-ray end cap using......the Toshiba player! See this.

18. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Just seems par for the course for Best Buy. It's not a "Blu-ray conspiracy", just the same mindset that has them demo a widescreen movie on a widescreen TV with the player set to 4x3 output.

19. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Circuit City (& Best Buy for that matter) are non-commission.

I've bought my last 3 TVs from there. Customer service & product knowledge is definately above average there, certainly better than BB.

20. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

So your "it's just a dumb honest mistake" claim is that BB is so STUPENDOUSLY stupid that they think a Toshiba HD player is really a Samsung BD player, and an HD disc is really a BD disc. Hmmm, maybe I should go there and buy a Toshiba HD player for 49 bucks, since you seem to think they wouldn't know it's not a DVD player.