What's new

Samsung Blu-Ray player cannot output true 1080p (1 Viewer)

Pete T C

Second Unit
http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/06/13/sam...en-pored-over/

On the Samsung player (first Blu-Ray player released), it appears that the 1080p Blu-Ray discs will be decoded to 1080i, and then line doubled back to 1080p; it uses the same 1080i Broadcom chip that the Toshiba HD-A1 has. And this wouldn't be any different than if you hooked up a player that just output 1080i to a 1080p HDTV. Buyer beware, as your $999 won't get you a true 1080p output on the Samsung!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This has already been brought up in other threads. For me, it really doesn't matter since my television doesn't have HDMI and can't input 1080P anyway. The best it can do is 1080I. When I'm comfortable enough with the new televisions that are coming out in the next year or so, I'll upgrade my television and audio processor with HDMI inputs and outputs which by that time, I'll be ready for the 2nd or perhaps the 3rd generation Blu Ray or HD DVD player(s).

Crawdaddy

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Has there been any explanation why Samsung designed the player this way? I still expect the 1080p output to be excellent for the displays that accept 1080p. We should know soon enough.

Chris

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Not a big percentage of the population, but a big percentage of the early Blu-ray adopters will. I wouldn't be surprised to hear over 50% of purchasers of the first Blu-ray player to output true 1080p actually own 1080p displays. There are a number of 1080p display models available now from Sony, Samsung, and Westinghouse among others. I am surprised the Samsung opening shot doesn't do it.

Chris

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

First adopters of DVD and HDTV are unlikely to have 1080p capability and they are also the most likely first adopters of HD DVD formats.

The HD sets in the first adopter groups would be lucky to have DVI/HDMI inputs. Buying your first HDTV now does not put one in a first adopter group. Unless people swapped out their TV's every 5 years.

50% with 1080p sets ... yeah ...

Regards

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Michael,

And about those 1080p sets: can they properly display 1080i?

Because if they can, there hardly is a problem. Interlaced can look exactly as good as progressive - it's just the conversion that may pose a problem, under certain circumstances.

Cees

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Cees ... yeah ...

People are getting too caught up in the specs again and the hype that goes with it.

When the industry experts tell me that properly deinterlaced 1080i is the same as 1080p ... that works for me. You are now talking about something that you can't see ... but merely want bragging rights to. :)

Regards

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know how you quantify that percentage??? I'm an early adopter, but I don't have a 1080P display yet. I know they're out there, but for most of us buying such a display is a big decision that will take a significant investment, especially those of us that have bought a new display over the last 4 years when 1080P displays weren't available until six months ago or so.

Crawdaddy

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Michael TLV,

I have a 57" Sony CRT RPTV (KP-57WS520). Do you know if this set is displaying correct 1080i and not doing anything crazy? I've seen 1080i material and HD DVD on it and it looks great to me. I know the set can't do 1080p...but just wonder how much better it would be.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m with Robert—at least philosophically—I have two HD TVs, one of which (a 30” Samsung) has only component inputs and the other (a 24”Sony) that does have and HDCP DMI input.

Both are 1080i—and I have no interest in replacing either, much less both, anytime soon.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer

Thank you a thousand times Michael. The impression is given by far too many that the HD disc formats are going to be severely compromised unless the players output 1080p into a display that accepts and displays native 1080p. The fact is that regardless of what kind of HD display one uses the HD-DVD and presumably the upcoming BD formats will provide the best HD picture that can be delivered to the set--superior to ota broadcast.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Yeah, what I said was the people that buy 1080p capable players will likely have 1080p capable displays, that isn't a complicated prediction and almost certainly correct since the first 1080p players are going to be very expensive. You might be surprised to know the majority of people that purchased 1080i capable players had 1080i capable displays and the majority of people that purchased 1080i capable STBs had 1080i capable displays. The early adopters of Blu-ray 1080p capable players are likely to have 1080p capable displays. It isn't going to be an enormous seller, with the PS3 likely being the choice of those that don't own and won't buy a 1080p display soon.

Chris

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

What I stated was the early adopters of true 1080p Blu-ray players, not early adopter of HDTV. If you can't take advantage of it, I doubt you will buy the true 1080p player, I know I won't. Despite what you are reading, there will be a noticeable difference between 1080p and 1080i. The Samsung way will be ok, with the 1080p>1080i>1080p chain but it isn't what the owners of the displays that can take advantage of it will want.

Chris

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Well, at least it's not a modified laptop!

21 seconds from power on to a picture on screen. Meanwhile, the Tosh is 1/2 thru its boot routine... :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
But, I'm an early adopter of Blu Ray because I ordered a player and I still don't own a 1080P display which probably means I'll have a lot of company with that combination.

Crawdaddy

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Only if a problem-conversion is involved.

The image, once completed, doesn't "know" in which order the inividual horizontal lines were transmitted. So both will exactly look the same.

Cees

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Really? Two points. Number one, what player that outputs true 1080p did you order? Second, if you did order one, I didn't say the number that would is zero. I stated a simple opinion, pretty obvious that I wouldn't be surprised that over 50% of those purchasing players capable of outputing true 1080p would be owners of displays capable of accepting 1080p.

Since the only players I have read about that will now are the Pioneer and Sony, available sometime in the third quarter and will cost between $1,200 and $1,800, I hope you have ordered something cheaper that doesn't output true 1080p (1080p without the 1080p>1080i>1080P chain). If you are buying now in advance getting ready for a change to a 1080p display in a few years, I would suggest you wait and buy a true 1080p player much later. The reason again is simple, one of two things will happen. Blu-ray will be a success and players will be much cheaper, maybe $500 in three years or Blu-ray will be a big bust and you won't want an expensive player.

If you have ordered PS3 or this Samsung player, I understand, I don't believe anywhere near 50% of those early adopters will own 1080p displays. I do believe as I stated a significant percentage will own 1080p displays. It won't be zero, maybe 10 to 20%. Of the general population, the percentage owning 1080p displays is not significant.

If I had made an obvious statement of opinion that the majority of people purchasing auto tires owned cars, would that have been challenged as well? I read my statement again and don't see the glaring mistatement to justify this nonsense.

Chris

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You've made a few comments that are confusing to me, but whatever, so I'll cut this short, as you say in order to not justify further nonsense.

Crawdaddy

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

No problem with that, but I don't mind copying the original statement. Here it is:

"Not a big percentage of the population, but a big percentage of the early Blu-ray adopters will."

"I wouldn't be surprised to hear over 50% of purchasers of the first Blu-ray player to output true 1080p actually own 1080p displays."

I will stand by that statement which I understand is the one you took exception to.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks