What's new

Samsung BD-P3600 ?? (1 Viewer)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi, I am FINALLY going to be purchasing a Blu Ray Player and the Samsung BD-P3600 Looks like a very good player..

I had looked at a lot of other players but this one seems to do Everything I need it to do but I have a few questions about this player.

I see it has the 7.1 Analog outputs will they decode the Dolby HD and DTS HD through the analag outs as my Current reciever does NOT have these codecs??

If this player does not decode the DTS HD/Dolby HD through the 5.1/7.1 Analog out which player will that is NetFlix compatible??

EDIT: IS the New Oppo which I see will do a CIH Setup, but will it decode DTS HD through the 5.1/7.1 Analogs outs. I just read that it does do the Dolby HD through the 7.1 analog outs ;)

Thnx
Gerald

sadbttru

Agent
Real Name
Shane
If you use the analog outs and your avr has external inputs to match then whatever codec or sound stream the player supports will be outputed.

for more info search samsung 3600 in this forum, there is another thread with information about this.

hope that helps

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi I was reading a few threads on this player it appears it only has wireless capability this will Not do :frowning:

Looks like Ill wait for the Oppo BDP-83BDP this thing is amazing does almost everything I need it too do. I just need to find out will it be NetFlix Compatible??

sadbttru

Agent
Real Name
Shane
wireless in what repect?

it will also have a ethernet port that will have the same function as the wireless connection.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well I just read that it only has wireless capabilities as it has no ethernet port??

wireless for I imagine BD Live and Netflix??

Shot at 2009-06-10

Fron BB

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
The following is from the Samsung page on the 3600 (note the last part about the wired connection):

"Go wireless with the BD-P3600. Wirelessly connect to the latest Blu-ray features. Simply connect the 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi dongle to one of the two USB 2.0 ports or using the traditional wired Ethernet connection."

There's no way that they would forgo a wired ethernet connection; too many people don't have wireless networks. However, the WiFi capability is something a lot of people have requested because they don't have an easy way to connect to their network.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hmm I just checked another Store it appears there is a Wired Connection Yippee ;)

I just wonder why BB is reporting that it does NOT have a wired connection??

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Retailer websites are not the best place to get specifications and features. If you go to the Samsung website, you can download the manual (which I did, just for the heck of it; it definitely has an ethernet port).

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well I am Finally getting the 3600 tomorrow I can't wait..

Now I was wondering anything I need to know about Blu Ray as a noob in the Hi Def market??

I am curious to see if 1080i or 720P will look better on the Blu Ray??

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi, its native rez is 720P (1280 x 720) but it can scale up to 1080i?? It is a Acer PH530..

Well I had the Blu-ray for some time now it was a breeze to setup no trouble as I been hearing some stories but I did NOT run into any trouble setting it up??

I am hoping Netflix works out so far so good no troubles with that either so far.

I just got back from BB and I bought 2 Movies Total Recall and Stargate.. cant wait to play them and experirnce HD DTS.

I do have 1 question I hooked up the Sound with the 7.1 Analog connection and I have to choose the 7.1 input on the reciever is the reciever decoding any DTS movies or is it the Bluray player that is decoding the DTS??

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I think it's generally considered best to set the player up to the same resolution as your TV. So, if your set is 720p, that's probably what you ought to set the player to.

If you're using analog connections, the player will decode all the audio formats.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

This really does vary depending on your set or projector.

I had a JVC 52" RPTV that had a 720p resolution, but the picture from the PS3 was noticeably better when set to 1080i, so that's where I kept it.

Best advice is always try all available HD settings and let your eye tell you which it prefers.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
What you set your player at determines where the downconversion is done. I have a 32" 1366 x 768 display and have both my HD-A30 and BDP-S350 set @ auto, which defaults to 1080i. It is really a matter of trying the downconversion with the player versus downconversion with your display and determining which is more aesthetically pleasing for you, which is pretty much what the previous poster said.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
OK Cool I figured it would probally be a preference to the end user but wanted to know the general rule ;)

I had found out the 3600 decodes all formats by putting in T2 SD and selecting DTS and then the DTS Intro played I figured that would NOT come up unless it was decoding it. I am Glad the Analogs outputs are on this player and it decodes these formats may not be digital but I hear it is very hard to notice the difference between analog and Digital.. ;)

I am going to save up for a reciever gonna go look now for some Recievers. Any Reccomendations??

Also on a side not I have a Marantz 4001 reciever which I was using in the Computer room and I switched out my other reciever a Sony and I must say the sound difference is noticible ;)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
I am having some trouble with Not sure what is at fault but let me explain the problem. I am renting Movies from Netflix and have had 2 SD DVD's so far that when playing in the Samsung blu ray player I get a higher pitched noise coming from the Subwoofer, almost like a low level test tone but at a higher pitch then the sub usually produces?? I have to turn off the sub during the movie as it distracts from watching the movie??

Now this is the second time this has done this with DVD's From Netflix?? What is causing this?? When playing a Blu ray disk the sounds are normal bass shakin heaven. but with SD DVD's I get a high pitched tone??

I have the P3600 Blu ray, Marantz 4001 Reciever, HSU VTF 1 Sub. I was listening to some DVD-Audios earlier Roger ?Waters live and the sub was behaving normal?? I am hooked to the reciever with the 7.1 Analog outs and HDMI Directly to the Projector Acer PH530..

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Being a 'Nuck, I have no idea if Netflix attaches anything to their discs for security purposes (labels, hub rings, etc.). I suppose it's possible that this may be causing some sort of weird hum, which could be transferred along the player's chassis to your analogue outs. i take it there's no issue with SD DVDs you own, so this seems to be the only rational explanation. The next bleeding obvious question would be: is your firmware current? A quick jaunt to Samsung's website should determine this after checking your current version.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well I will have to play 1 of My SD DVD's and see if I get this hum??

I had upgraded the newest FW the other night. But this hum was heard with both old and new FW??

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Which rules out firmware. Can you tell me if Netflix attaches any sort of label or ring to their discs? This would increase the weight on the spin motor (and depending on where it's placed, disproportionately, causing the disc to wobble, which @ high spin rates could produce some sort of low level hum).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks