What's new

Samsung and Panasonic 3D Press Events (Video and Photos) (1 Viewer)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by RolandL

I hope there will be a good selection of Blu-ray 3D movies including those from the 1950's at that time.

Roland brings up a good point that I don't think has been addressed.

All of the 3D movies from the 1950's used the two color anaglyph method to create the 3D effect. Is there any way that these movies could be "converted" into the new 3D format? Is such a conversion even possible? I imagine it would be a completely different process than the "2D to 3D" conversion we're seeing done to current and existing titles.

Doing a "anaglyph 3D to polarized 3D" conversion could be tricky, and in the least would require that original film elements for each eye would need to be available. If the separate fields are found, would they already be colored for the anaglyph process thus needing to be color corrected? Once color corrected, it would be pretty straightforward to convert to the modern 3D, but getting the raw fields is going to be tricky.

Hopefully some experts can weigh in on this, but my gut tells me that most (if not all) of the older 3D movies are not really going to experience a "rennaissance" due to the new 3D spec.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton

Roland brings up a good point that I don't think has been addressed.

All of the 3D movies from the 1950's used the two color anaglyph method to create the 3D effect.
Wrong. The 3-D boom of the 50s was precipitated by the polaroid process, so the vast majority of 3-D films produced during this period were shot and projected in that format. You may have been confused by their conversion to anaglyph in the early 1980s for TV broadcast (since CRTs cannot replicate a polarized process) during the second "SpaceVision" boom. The current Real D and Dolby 3D processes are also polaroid, but instead of using horizontal and vertical polariztion, they use clockwise and counterclockwise polarization so that your head doesn't have to be perfectly vertical to eliminate ghosting. I would prefer to wait for this process to come home before I invest in home 3D

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by JohnS

I'm really looking forward to Panasonic's Plasma 3DTV which won best of CES
The one in particular is the Panasonic's TC-PVT25 (50 inch) that I'm looking to get.
May/June is the expected releaser date.

Panasonic's 3D 50 is out now, its a Magnolia Home Theater/Best Buy exclusive until the 54 and 65 inch versions come out later this summer. Its a very nice set.

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
I predict there will be this momentary love affair with 3-D all over again, as there was in '53 and '54....but the fascination will die as it did then. This is an attempt to get consumers buying again. Folks, use your BRAINS, not your greedy balance sheets........this is a recession/depression......people don't have the money to buy this flawed system.

I have to agree with this information

I am not going to bother seeing any more 3D films in the cinema, it adds nothing to the viewing experience :(

it just drains my bank account faster, and reduces the picture quality - specifically in terms of picture brightness and contrast, and adds ghosting when the camera suddenly pans during a scene, and I don't enjoy having a cheap pair of disposable plastic glasses between my naked eyeball and the cinema screen (I've been wearing Oakley sunglasses for many years, so any "cheap" glasses just cause optical distortion)

I've been interested to view the "new 3D" movies like Final Destination 4, UP, Avatar, and Alice in Wonderland, and have re-watched these in 2D to compare with the 3D presentation

today I went to see "Clash of the Titans", I saw it in 2D because 3D is not attractive to me...its a gimmick

its just a 'cash cow', and a tool to defeat bit-torrent download piracy

I cannot wait until proper 3-dimensional "holographic" viewing is available, until then its just a gimmick rely on a "trick" in the way your eyes and brain process information

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I don't think 3-D will die out as it did in 53 and 54. Below is the list of 3-D movies released and to be released. The Masters golf tournament was just broadcast in 3-D. ESPN will start broadcasting 3-D in June. Discovery, Sony Corp. and Imax Corp. announced a joint venture to introduce a 3-D channel in 2011. Samsung and Mitsubishi have been selling 3-D TV's since 2007. We now have Blu-ray 3D. I saw a 3-D commercial for cat food as a preview to a 3-D movie recently. I think it will be around for a very long time.

If you have Showcase Cinemas near you, check out if they have reduce ticket prices during the week. We have one that charges only $6 for all movies, all times on Tuesdays. That's my 3-D movie night!

2004:
1. The Polar Express

2005:
1. Chicken Little

2006:
1. Superman Returns
[COLOR= black] (last 20 minutes digitally converted to IMAX 3D)[/COLOR]
2. Monster House
3. Open Season
4. Ant Bully
5. Nightmare Before Christmas

2007:
1. Meet The Robinsons
Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix[COLOR= black] (last 20 mins will be digitally converted for IMAX)
[/COLOR]3. Beowulf
[COLOR= black](Nov 16[/COLOR][COLOR= black])[/COLOR]

2008:

1. U2 3D [COLOR= black](February)[/COLOR]
2. Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour[COLOR= black] (February) [/COLOR]
3. Journey To The Center Of The Earth[COLOR= black] (July)[/COLOR][COLOR= black]
[/COLOR]
4. Fly Me to the Moon [COLOR= black](August)[/COLOR]
5. Bolt[COLOR= rgb(0, 102, 0)] [/COLOR][COLOR= black](November)[/COLOR]

2009:
1. My Bloody Valentine 3-D
moz-screenshot.jpg

Coraline[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]
3. Jonas Brothers' "Burning Up" 3D Concert Movie
4. Monsters vs. Aliens [COLOR= black]([/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(0, 102, 0)]
5. Battle For Terra[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]
6. Up
[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]
7. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs [COLOR= black]([/COLOR]
8. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
[COLOR= black] [/COLOR]
10. The Final Destination

11. [COLOR= black]Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs [/COLOR]
12. Toy Story 1 & 2 Double Feature
14. Disney's A Christmas Carol [COLOR= rgb(153, 0, 0)]
[/COLOR][COLOR= black]15.[/COLOR]

Planned for 2010:

2010:
1. Alice in Wonderland [COLOR= black](March 5th,[/COLOR] 2010) (Tim Burton / Disney)[COLOR= black] (Writer, Linda Woolverton) (Producers, Richard Zanuck, Joe Roth, Jennifer Todd and Suzanne Todd)[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)] Disney Digital 3D: [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(153, 0, 0)]Performance Capture AND [/COLOR]Live Action.[COLOR= rgb(153, 0, 0)]
[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(0, 102, 0)]2.[/COLOR] How To Train Your Dragon[COLOR= black] (March 26th, 2010) (Dreamworks Animation)[/COLOR] Set in the world of Vikings and dragons, it centers on an awkward teen who befriends an injured dragon.

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]3. Clash Of The Titans[/COLOR] (April 2, 2010) (Warner) Re-imagining of the original[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)].[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]4. Kenny Chesney: Summer In 3-D[/COLOR] (April 2010) (Sony Hot Ticket) Concert movie from his 2009 summer tour. 750 3D screen distribution.
5. Alpha And Omega (April 16th, 2010) (Lionsgate) CG Animation. The movie is about a couple of young wolves and their adventures. Hayden Panettiere, Christina Ricci, Danny Glover, Justin Long, Larry Miller and Dennis Hopper lend their voices to the project.
[COLOR= rgb(0, 102, 0)]6.[/COLOR] Shrek Forever After[COLOR= black] (May 21, 2010) (DWA)[/COLOR]
7. Toy Story 3 (June 18th, 2010) (Disney) 3D Digital Animation
[COLOR= black]8. Blue Man Group Musical 3D[/COLOR] (June 2010) 3D Live Action representation of their stage work with a storyline.
9. Despicable Me
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)] (July 9, 2010) (Universal) Surrounded by a small army of minions, we discover Gru (voiced by Steve Carell), planning the biggest heist in the history of the world. He is going to steal the moon.
10. Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore[/COLOR] (July 30, 2010) (Warner) (Director Brad Peyton) The ongoing war between the canine and feline species is put on hold when they join forces to thwart a rogue cat spy with her own sinister plans for conquest.
[COLOR= black]11. Step Up 3-D (August 6, 2010) (Disney) (Jon Chu) Third installment in the dance franchise.[/COLOR]
12. Piranha 3-D (August 27, 2010) (Alexandre Aja) (Dimension Films) A remake of Joe Dante's original, Arizona's Lake Havasu ruptures its floor after an earthquake releasing prehistoric piranhas killing 1000 spring break students.
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]13. Legend Of The Guardians[/COLOR] (Formerly Guardians Of Ga'Hoole) (September 24, 2010) (Warner) (Director, Zack Snyder) Animation. Soren, a young barn owl, is kidnapped by owls of St. Aggie's, ostensibly an orphanage, where owlets are brainwashed into becoming soldiers. He and his new friends escape to the island of Ga'Hoole.
14. Around The World in 50 Years[COLOR= black] (October 21, 2010 - Netherlands) (nWave) (Director, [/COLOR]Ben Stassen) (Producers, Gina Gallo, Mimi Maynard, Domonic Paris, Caroline Van Iseghem & Ben Stassen) Animation. Voices by: [COLOR= rgb(0, 102, 0)]Tim Curry, Anthony Anderson, Ed Begley Jr., Pat Carroll, Kathy Griffin, Melanie Griffith, Stacy Keach and Jenny McCarthy. Story revolves around a turtle born in 1959 who travels the globe while it is being affected by global warming. (Completion in 2009).[/COLOR]
15. Black Friday 3D (October 15, 2010) (Blood Worx Films) (Ethan Terra, Director/Writer) (Joe Knetter, Writer) A couple is viciously assaulted while vacationing. The local authorities and Diane's older brother Kevin enlists the help of four college friends to seek out the machete wielding killer. The friends soon find themselves face to face with the infamous serial killer Tyler Hillburg.
16. Saw VII (October 22, 2010) (Lionsgate) (Writer, Marcus Dunstan)
17. The Legend of Spyro (October 25, 2010) (Universal Animation Studios) (Animation Picture Company) (John Davis, Producer) (Mark Dippe, Director) Animation. A young dragon whose destiny is to battle evil forces in Dragon World. Spyro must learn to fly, breath fire and battle aided by his friends and family. Voices by Gary Oldman (Ignitus) and Elijah Wood (Spyro).[COLOR= black] Opens in Turkey on Feb 19, 2010.[/COLOR]
18. Megamind (November 5, 2010) (Dreamworks Animation) A villain loses his motivation after accidentally killing his arch nemesis. Voices: Robert Downey Jr., Tina Fey.
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]19. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 1[/COLOR] (November 19, 2010) The final book split into two movies - the second will be in 2011.
[COLOR= black]20. Tangled (Formerly Rapunzel) (November 24, 2010) (Disney) (Directors: Glen Keane, Dean Wellins) be transported to a stunning CG fantasy world complete with the iconic tower, an evil witch, a gallant hero and, of course, the mysterious girl with the long golden tresses.
21. The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Voyage Of The Dawn Trader[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)] (December 9, 2010) (Fox) (Director, Michael Apted)[/COLOR]
22. Tron: Legacy (December 17, 2010) (Disney) (Director: Joseph Kosinski) A revisit to Tron. Read about a sneak preview here.
23. Yogi Bear[COLOR= black] (December 17, 2010) (Warner Bros.) (Eric Brevig, Director) (Joshua Sternin and Jeffrey Ventimilia, Writers) Live action / CG combo family movie.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]24. Gulliver's Travels[/COLOR] (December 30, 2010) (Fox) (Rob Letterman)
25. Boat (2010) (Gaumont) (Franck Chorot, Producer) centers on a cheetah and a porcupine who must change their identities to gain entry to Noah's Ark when they discover that their animal breeds were already represented on board. They decide to create a fake species called "porceetahs".
[COLOR= rgb(0, 102, 0)]26. Cereal Heroes[/COLOR][COLOR= black] (2010) (Fable Works LLC) ([/COLOR]Sparx Animation Studios) Cartoon cereal-box-mascots are mistakenly brought to life when a plan to replace the world's fallen superheroes with characters from comic books goes awry.
27. The Mortician
(2010) (Aria Films and Full Circle Films) (Equipment and Post Production, Axis3D) (Director, Writer, Gareth Maxwell Roberts) (Producer, Carlo Dusi) Psychological Thriller.
28. Evil Dead: The Musical[COLOR= black] (2010?) (Bruce Campbell) Recreation of the movie with music in 3D. Based on the stage musical. Shooting begins spring 2009.[/COLOR]
29. The Hole[COLOR= black] (2010) (Bold Films) (Joe Dante, Director) (Michael L. Smith, Writer[/COLOR]) (Starring Haley Bennett) A pair of brothers stumble upon a mysterious hole in their basement that leads to the darkest corridors of their fears and nightmares. Shooting starts in November 2008 in Vancouver, BC.

2011:
1. Priest (January 14, 2011) (Sony Screen Gems) (Paul Bettany, Karl Urban) A warrior priest disobeys Church law by teaming with a young sheriff and a beautiful priestess to track down a band of renegade vampires.
2. Cabin In The Woods (January 14, 2011) (MGM) A group of college kids spend a weekend at a mysterious cabin in the woods that white-collar co-workers have a mysterious connection.
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]3. Resident Evil: Afterlife[/COLOR] (January 14, 2011) (Screen Gems) (Paul WS Anderson, Writer, Director) A reboot of the zombie movie trilogy.
4. Drive Angry[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)] (February 11, 2011)[/COLOR] (NuImage / Millenium Films) Nicholas Cage starrer. A man exacts revenge on the murderer of his daughter and her baby.
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]5. Sucker Punch[/COLOR] (March 25, 2011) (Warner Bros.) (Zack Snyder, Director) Action-Comedy
6. Rio (April 8, 2011) (Fox) (Blue Sky Studios) (Carlos Saldanha, Director) "centers on a nerdy macaw who leaves the comforts of his cage in small-town Minnesota and heads to Rio de Janeiro."
7. Kung Fu Panda: The Kaboom Of Doom [COLOR= black](DWA) (June 3, 2011) (Jennifer Yu Helson, Director) Jack Black, Angelina Jolie again lend their voices.
8. Green Lantern[/COLOR] (Warner Bros.) (Martin Campbell, Director)

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]9. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2[/COLOR] (July 15, 2011) The final book split into two movies.
10. Smurfs 3D (July 29, 2011) (Columbia) (Colin Brady, Director) 3D animation based on the classic children's characters.[COLOR= black]
11. Newt [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(0, 102, 0)](Summer 2011) (Disney-Pixar) (Director, Gary Rydstrom) What happens when the last remaining male and female blue-footed newts on the planet are forced together by science to save the species, and they can't stand each other?
[/COLOR]12. Underworld 4
(September 23, 2011) (Sony Screen Gems) Fourth movie in the vampire vs. lycan franchise.
[COLOR= black]13. The Guardians[/COLOR] (November 4, 2011) (William Joyce, Author) (Jeff Lynch, Director) The story brings together MAJOR children's heros as Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Jack Frost and the Sandman — to defend the world from a Bogeyman-like villain.
[COLOR= black]14. The Bear and the Bow (Christmas 2011) (Disney-Pixar) (Director, Brenda Chapman) A rugged and mythic Scotland is the setting for Pixar's action-adventure "The Bear and the Bow."
[/COLOR]
[SIZE= 100%]15. Cars 2 (Summer 2011) (Disney-Pixar) (Director, Brad Lewis) Mater and McQueen will need their passports as they find themselves in a new world of intrigue, thrills and fast-paced comedic[/SIZE]
escapades around the globe. Now scheduled for the summer of 2011!
16. Happy Feet 2 (November 18, 2011) (Warner Bros) Sequel to the first massive musical animation hit.
17. Tintin (December 23, 2011) (Peter Jackson, Steven Spielberg) (Paramount / Sony) Motion Capture. Jamie Bell stars as the globetrotting young reporter Tintin, who faces off against the nefarious Red Rackham, played by Daniel Craig. Andy Serkis, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Gad Elmaleh, Toby Jones and Mackenzie Crook co-star.
18. The Devil's Commandos (Raw) (Director, Thomas Jane) A WWII commando unit sent on a rescue mission. Pretty straight forward. Except for the part where hell opens up and they have to fight Satan's army.
19. The Birds (Mandalay Pictures) (Universal) George Clooney and Naomi Watts attached in this remake of the Hitchcock classic where birds exert their will over a small town.
20. The Three Musketeers (Constantin Films) (Producer, Paul W.S. Anderson) Contemporary re-imagining of the classic Dumas tale.
[COLOR= black]21.[/COLOR] Frankenweenie [COLOR= black](2011)[/COLOR][COLOR= black] (Tim Burton / Disney) Digital 3D: Stop Motion Animation. A young boy brings his dog back from the dead.[/COLOR]
22. Paradise Lost (2011) (Warner Brothers) (Legendary Pictures) (Scott Derrickson, Director) Based on the Milton poem. Lucifer's failed rebellion in heaven brings about Adam and Eve's fall from grace.
23. Halloween 3D (2011) (Weinsteins) (Dimension Films) (Writers: Todd Farmer, Lussier) (Director: Patrick Lussier) Third iteration of the re-energized horror franchise.
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]24. Beauty And The Beast[/COLOR] (2011) (Disney) The original converted to 3D.

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
I would agree its not going to "die out" as previous 3D era's did

but I am not convinced, purely from an enthusiast POV !

for the film studios and distributors it makes real sense - they get a better ticket price from the consumer compared to a 2D presentation, and its definitely a great tool to fight download piracy

kinda hard to DL the latest 3D film, when your computer or TV does not display 3D and you don't have 3D glasses....

but as an avid film consumer, it does nothing but spoil my viewing experience, for the reasons mentioned in my previous post

I've read about the *upgrades* that cinemas had to make, to screen 3D presentations

a key part of these upgrades, was a silver coated screen, to boost the image brightness, as this is reduced during a 3D projection, compared to a regular 2D projection

probably the most telling re-watch I've undertaken of 3D vs. 2D, was Avatar - a film designed to be shot and actually shot in 3D - compared to a film like "Clash of the Titans" which was actually converted to 3D during post production

as Avatar in 3D had a poorer PQ in the cinema theatre, than when I watched it later in 2D in the cinema theatre, then nothing will convince me to keep wasting my hard earned money on 3D presentations in the cinema theatre!

something that really suits my feelings on this matter, is that cinemas here in London, England, tend to show the 2D films earlier in the day which suits my lifestyle, and then show the more expensive 3D films in the evening to capture the evening film audiences...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks