Samsung, Akai, or Sony?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by david*mt, Jan 18, 2003.

1. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

I am trying to decide between three 27'' tv's for a bedroom setting. I want something decent to watch DVDs on, so a 16:9 mode is must. The ones I am looking at are the Akai CFT2791, the Samsung TXM-2790F, and the Sony KV-27FS100. The Akai is the cheapest of the three, and I have heard good things about it, but I am skeptical about an off brand. Anyone have any experience with it? Also, the Sony is advertised as having a 16:9 vertical compression mode. Is this the same as the 16:9 mode that is on the Samsung and the Akai? I would appreciate any recomendations.

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I would recommend the Akai for your bedroom, even your living room. Its a great tv. My parents used to have it in their bedroom until they made the move to plasma. The 27 inch is in my old bedroom (when I used to live there) so it just gives me another perk for visiting. I guess it is an off brand but I guarantee you it is a Samsung in and out so I would compare the Sony to the Akai and just leave the higher priced Samsung out of the picture, no pun intended. Sony has a great picture once properly tweaked so its up to you, but I don't think you would be unhappy with the Akai at all. If they made it in 32 I would have one for my family room. Good Luck.

3. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

4. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

I just got an 42" RPTV by Samsung and I love it. This Tv rocks! 16:9 format and pic quality watching DVDs looks like PLASMA style.
    Remote is very user friendly. Instruction Manual easy to read and understand.
    I know and heard Samsung makes great HDTVs and flat screens and the price will not rip a hole out of your bank account unlike Sony Tv's.