Samsung/Akai Flash problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Bennett, May 24, 2002.

1. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I've noticed that when I have no signal going to my video inputs, the black input screen steadily pulses in blackness. I only noticed it recently when I was playing a game with the room darkened. I played around in the menu a bit and messing with the black stretch values yielded nothing. Do your Samsung TXL2791s and AKAI clones do this? The easiest way to tell is to put in on a video input with nothing on. Then, lower the brightness of the set to like 1(I have the contrast at 40). The flash is very visible. It seems to go away as you increase the brightness. I normally keep my brightness at 37 but I may have to bump it up into the 40s to help eliminate the flashing. Anyone else having this problem? I've never noticed it during normal viewing so I'm not sure if this is the same flash problem from a while back people were discussing or something new. Thanks for any info.

2. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

3. Dave Bennett

Bob,
    thanks for the reply but I tried those suggestions and had no luck. I never really noticed the problem before I moved out of the dorm so I'm wondering if the set got bumped during the move. We were very careful with it and I don't think it did but can't say for certain if the problem was there before I moved or not. In any case, the only time it is very annoying is with all the lights off while playing a game that is dark(like Resident Evil). I'll try to do some more tweaking to see if I can minimize it.

4. Larry F.

Larry F. Agent

I recently noticed something strange with mine....I have done all the "fixes" noted in other threads and get a very good picture except on my local "fox" channel. I have 3 sets this AKAI/Samsung, a Samsung 1491, and an older Sanyo. The AKAI will turn everything on fox purple. At first I thought it was Fox as when I switched it to antennae it was same, but the tv guy saw it and looked at my other 2 sets and said "not right" the other sets don't do this. He also saw the "black flash" issue too (particularly noticeable btw in the opening of Harry Potter). This AM I tried switching connections around but no change this set turns Fox purple. Has anyone else seen this? I believe it will go back to Sam's today and exchanged for another. The TV guy wanted to take it for 2 weeks (not good). BTW black flash is gone after adj the stretch trick. I really like the set but fid it incredibly "tricky" to get a quality image. If I can't get results after exchange I guess I'get something else

5. Dave Bennett

I never did come up with a true fix for my problem but I was able to work around it. Basically, I bumped the brightness up a few notches and now I can't notice it. I never noticed it during movies or TV viewing only when playing Resident Evil(when you open a door the screen goes black and shows the door opening. I could see the flash very clearly). Now I don't notice it and since my set seems to be working fine in other areas, I'm not too concerned. Hope you can get your issue resolved Larry.

6. Larry F.

Larry F. Agent

Never did so I went to Sam's and exchanged the set with a new one. This one exhibits little or none of the "flash" in the opening of Harry Potter, but it still turns everything on Fox purple [​IMG] . Addtionally the new one has awful sound buzzy and distorted [​IMG] . I'm VERY discouraged as I have had such good luck with my samsung computer monitor I though a tv made by them would be of better quality. Other than fox going purple the picture is very nice but the sound UGH! I guess it's back to Sam's again maybe ther's a JVC in my future. I'm getting very discouraged with this AKAI.

7. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

I wonder if it's some sort of magnetic interference? Sometimes if the set is close to a fridge or another appliance you'll get some funky results. I had to move my TV from one side of my apartment to the other because my AC was discoling the upper right corner [​IMG]. See if changing the psotion of the set helps at all.

8. Larry F.

Larry F. Agent

This AKAI is in the same position my old Sanyo had been in for over 9 years without a hitch. There isn't anything nearby it either. So I think there may be a different product in my future. I'm a little leary of long term reliabilty issues here. Kind of reminds me of the 2 sets I had tried before getting the Sanyo. 1st it was a Zenith 27" and we liked it alot but whenever a loud passage or change in scene brightmess would occur the tv would mute itself, that occured with 2 of them, we than tried an RCA which was haunted the on screen menus would come on and change the picture, or the sound, or channels etc.
    I'm really disappointed as I wanted this AKAI to work out but I'm having my doubts about it.

9. Larry F.

Larry F. Agent

Well the 2nd AKAI went back to Sam's and I gave up [​IMG] It seems there are some SERIOUS quality issues here and I was getting tired of boxing and carting 100lb tv sets. Got a JVC 32260. Not sure how I'll like it (I think I liked the picture better on the AKAIs) but this doesn't flash, the sound quality is good (not as good as the first AKAI) but WAY better than the second and FOX does not turn purple. I'm seeing posted how to do the "squeeze" with it, so we'll see.....