Samsung/Akai 42" HDTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Steven_Jobe, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Steven_Jobe

Steven_Jobe Stunt Coordinator

Well I've been looking at small sets lately but have decided to go bigger and spend more. I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the Akai and/or Samsung 42" HDTV sets and how good/reliable they are? It's either that or the 30" Sony direct view set(which I love, not a fan of rear projection but I like the size for the price).

Right now I can get the Samsung for $800 on sale and the Sony for $900.

Any help please?

2. Craig

Craig Second Unit

I bought the Akai 42". It had a problem with a green tint in dark areas of the picture. I got a replacement and it has the same problem. However, I went back to Circuit City recently and looked at one of the display models and it looked ok. Overall the picture is actually very good and the colors look good, just that blacks have a slightly greenish tinge.

Have you looked at the Panasonic 34" direct view? I noticed Circuit City had it on sale for $1329, but they were also advertising an additional 10% off on TVs over $499.

3. Steven_Jobe

Ya I looked at those, however my budget was originally less than $500 and I've moved it up to the $800 range. If I got a direct view widescreen set I'd get the Sony 30" on sale for $900. But I figured if this set was ok then why not get a 42" set for $800. It's a great price and I'd hate to pass it up.

4. Craig

Craig Second Unit

You could give the Samsung/Akai 42" a shot. Like I said, the picture quality is very good. You may not have any problem at all, and I assume you'll have a something like a 30 day return period anyway.

5. Steven_Jobe

I may just do that. It's a little big for what I was wanting but for $800 compared to $900 for the 30" Sony Widescreen I don't think I can pass it up. Thanks for your help. If anyone else has had experience with these please let me know, or if anyone knows where I can find reviews on them.